Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Eton College Archives

Skipman

It is an excellent archive.  You need to tweak your search settings and go a little carefully, but it is all there and free to access.  (Harrow please note).  Recommended heartily.

Yes...but Harrow has the Harrow Memorials of the Great War, complete with photographs, which I have found more useful than Eton's archive for individual accounts of men killed in the war. Still, Mike has reminded me to have another go and see if I can't find out more. Thanks.

Liz

Liz,

I can put you in touch with Eton's archivist if that's any help?

Jane

That's kind, Jane - but I've been in touch with them already on the things I was desperate about, I just meant that when it came to relying on the online archives I hadn't had great success!  Those schools, like Harrow and Tonbridge, which published memorial volumes soon after the war, are very useful to people trying to piece together biographies now.  But I have found all  the schools ' archivists I've contacted very helpful.

Liz

Harrow's War Memorials are fine - as long as your subject did not survive the war. I am researching the school and career records of officers who reached high rank in WW2. I am not complaining per se as it is a generous act to make your information available freely - in both senses of the word.