Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Battalion D.C.L.I.

Guest Russell.Gore@crawley.gov.uk

Guest Russell.Gore@crawley.gov.uk

Morning All,have been trying to piece together Granddads movements after 2nd Ypres,He landed F & F April 1915,and was discharged as no longer fit for further Military Service on 17.07.16..his discharge papers mention severe scarring to the front of legs.His Medal entitlment was 15 Star,BW & V.He served with 1st Battalion D.C.L.I. Service No.15495,and enlisted in Fulham on 04/08/14. Any thoughts or help on this matter very welcome. Cheers Russell.

Hi Russell - long time no see, mate. The 1/DCLI were part of 5th Division and served on the Bluff (1/DCLI cemetery is there) went down to the Somme for a period in mid-1915 before they went up to Arras and back down to the Somme in July 1916. A short history of the Division at:

http://battlefields1418.50megs.com/regular_divisions_pt2.htm

Hope that helps a little.

Hi there.

My grandfather was in in 7th DCLI and my Grt Uncle, was in 2nd DCLI (a Boer War veteran). later a POW. After quizzing the National records Office about War Diaries etc, I bit the bullet and spent £28 on The History of the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry, 1914 - 1919.

A large heavy, but very useful book. It traces movements of battalian's where there were what they did. Lots of War Diary excerpts, dates and trench references etc.

The book was written 13 years after the armistice so memories where probably quite fresh too.

A tremendous read, whether you are 'into' the DCLI or not.

Naval & Military Press

regards