Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Field finds at Westhoek - what are they?

1st AIF

My wife found these at Idiot Corner at Westhoek Ridge today. One looks like a cap chinstrap button/badge - but which regiment?

The second is a weird looking thing - it's about the same size as the cartridge case. It may be electro plated silver. It has holes in both ends and one in the middle. The knob like thing may be threaded so you can open the cylinder up but at the moment it is jammed. The hole at one end looks like it is for attaching a string or lanyard. The hole at the other end is round and is at the end of the knob.(No jokes please). I have no idea whether it is WW1 related but was found in the vicinity of the cap badge and cartridge case.

The cartridge case is for size reference.

Regards,

Len

FieldFinds.jpg

Nice finds but no idea about the weird looking thing, the button is a general service button, have a look at the linked thread.

A wild guess here Len but could it be some sort of whistle?

Regards

Simon

Hi guys,looks very similiar to a laser pointer pen ?.

image.jpeg

Dear Fred, Phoebus, Tony and Mancpal,

Thank you gentlemen for your replies. I googled trench lighters and thought that this was the answer because it did look remarkably similar. But honestly Fred's photo fits it superbly as a laser pointer (dammit). The hole in the middle of the cylinder has some rust and the whole object  superimposes logically over the field find. A case of wishful thinking versus strong evidence. All three objects were found within 5 metres of a suburban back fence on Westhoek. We haven't written off the that it is a trench lighter and I guess we have to open up the inside to answer the riddle.

Len

mxnQyPAv0KRu5tGfc1tbtSg.jpg

To me it looks insufficiently corroded and too stylistically modern to be WW1. I suspect whatever it is has been in that field for 30 years at most.

• 7 years later...

I am visiting the Westhoek area in September of this year. Can anyone give me the exact location of Idiot Corner? I can see Idiot trench, Idiot Ave, etc on war maps but not Idiot Corner. Thanks. Chris. 

Chris, Chasseaud gives it as 28.I.12.d.2.6 which would seem to put it at the bend in Idiot Avenue:

image.png.b2207971d347043766d78ced7b921ccf.png

AWM image sourced from Anzac Portal.

image.png.8769a76bf99abf411d1ed14bdf5ebbf9.png

That's brilliant. Thank you so much. We often stay at the Hotel Kasteelhof 't Hooge which is really close and are doing so in September. Best regards. Chris.