Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

grandfathers brothers, did they enlist ?

mcfc1923

Pals !!!

Just found out today from my grandfathers birth certificate(he was born 1901, so it's unlikely he enlisted) that he had 2 older brothers, Charles was 17 at the outbreak of war and Arthur was 16. Which is the best path to take in finding out if they enlisted ?.

Going to be a cheeky chappie and hope that someone out ther will wave their magic wand and give me all the info i need.(and yes i do beleive in santa).

The only info i have at present is as follows.

Charles and Arthur were born in manchester, and in 1901 were living at number 12 Chapel Street Manchester.

Their father was James Warburton-age 28 in 1901, born Manchester, occupation=

hawker of coke.

Their mother Isabella Warburton, (formerly Taylor) age 28 in 1901, born Manchester,.

Tried the CWGC, came up with 4 for Charles, and 1 for Arthur, but none of the said

mentioned, had any age or parents name etc.

would truely be grateful for any useful direction you can point me in.

many thanks in advance.

Jim

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Search the medal index cards on-line on the National Archive site.

Just because he was born in 1901 does not mean he couldn't serve - Boy Sailors were like Jack Cornwell VC were 16. Other lads enlisted well under age, 14 in some instances.

Ian

Search the medal index cards on-line on the National Archive site.

Ian

Ian

Found only one with an A after the name thomas(thomas Amos) and he was in the south wales borderers, can't see it being that one.

for his older brothers Charles and Arthur, found 9 for charles and to many to count for Arthur. and that's not including the low reg numbers.

lookes like the search goes on

jim