The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Need help understanding WWI medals

Guest Paul Jones

Guest Paul Jones

Hello,

I downloaded this image about my grandfather's WWI medals:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~l...kbirdmedals.jpg

from the Service Medal and Award Rolls Index, First World War at the National Archives web site. Frankly I have absolutely no idea what it all means and I'd greatly appreciate some help from any knowledgable and kind soul out there.

I know that he was injured in the Somme, presumeably in 1916, while leading his men over a bridge on all fours (a single bullet passed through both his right arm and leg). I know from a photo that he was in hospital in Alden Hay Ward in June 1917. He returned to the war before the Armistice but worked behind the lines in HQ and was never fit enough to return to the front. The Medal and Award Roll may not be complete because it seems from the title to refer to 1914-1915 only, although I may be wrong in this interpretation.

Thanks in advance,

Take care,

Paul

Hi Paul,

The Medal Index Card shows he was a Captain with the 'Welch' Regiment (later re-named the 'Welsh' Regiment). It shows he was awarded the 1914/15 Star, British War Medal Victory Medal. It looks as though his star was impressed 'Welch' and the other two 'Welsh'. I am not sure when the named change occurred but think it was late in the war. He was also awarded the Silver War Badge (menaing he was incapacitated as a result of his service). It seems he was awarded the SWB after the war ended on the 07/03/1919. The card does not have a date of entry however the award of the star means he entered a theatre of war in 1915. Being an officer there is also a good chance his service papers survive at the Public Record Office. There is also a god chance that some others on the forum have information about him.

Have a look at The Long Long Trail link at the top left of the site and have a look at Grandad's War. This will tell you all you need to know.

Rgds

Tim D

It means he was eligible to receive:

The 15 Star

The British War Medal

The Victory Medal

He must also have been wounded as he is entitled to a silver war badge.

The medal roll numbers relate to the medal rolls, which are original documents and can be ordered for viewing.

One of the Pals, Ian Bowbrick, is the expert on medal cards he would be able to help I am sure.

Guest Paul Jones

Thanks for your help Matt & Tim.

I was surprised to see that my grandfather's first cousin, 2nd Leiut. Raymond Bird of the 4th Battalion Gloucester Regt. who was killed in action at Ovillers in the Somme on 16th August 1916 was NOT on the Medals and Awards Roll.

Why would this be? Surely a man who gave his life for his country would have been entitled to some kind of recognition.

Take care,

Paul

It does happen sometimes that they are missing.

I own a trio to someone who was k-i-a and he is the same, no trace on the medal roll at all.