Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

164th Bde Royal Field Artillery

IanA

I would be grateful for any information on the above unit. Like a good little trooper, I checked with the LLT link but the relevant page is in the process of being re-written and I was directed to the old page which is sparse. I gather that it was designated 'Huddersfield' and was formed in 1915 joining the 32nd Division in December of that year. Then, I am told, it was 'broken up' in September 1916. The chap I am looking at survived the war although he was discharged early (actually only a few months before the war ended) as he had sustained injuries when a group of horses bolted. Having seen his discharge papers from 1918, his unit still appears to be 164th Bde. I am confused. (Being a bear of very little brain.)

Ian

Ian,

164th (Howitzer) Brigade RFA was designated "Rotherham". The howitzer batteries were split to other brigades between February 16, 1916 and May 26, 1916 apart from C (H), which became D (H)/164. After the others were replaced with 18 pounders it was broken up on September 17, 1916.

168th Brigade RFA was designated "Huddersfield" and served in the same 32nd Division. D (H)/164 became D (H)/168 on September 17, 1916 and was the only remnant from the original 164th Brigade RFA. Maybe this is what was meant on his discharge papers.

Thank you kindly for that, David. Do you know what types of howitzer they would be using? The man I'm looking at was a sergeant (master gunner, 3rd class) and it would be interesting (for me, and for the pal whose grandfather he was) to find out where he served. His name (don't laugh) was Smith.

Hello Ian

RFA howitzer batteries were equipped with the 4.5-inch howitzer, although TF howitzer brigades had usually started the war with the older 5-inch. Neither 164 nor 168 were TF brigades.

I don't think that there were master gunners 3rd class as such on the establishment of field batteries, so he may have reached that rank later in his career.

Ron

Thanks Ron. I was given a series of photographs which showed a chap with RFA shoulder titles - first, wearing one stripe, then with a sergeants stripes and a master gunner's badge above. I am no expert on proficiency badges but I understand that a gun, sans crown, is master gunner, 3rd class. For interest, my man is 19752 George William Smith, enlisted 17.4.15 at Rotherham. (Yes, David, that does make sense.)

Ian

On 9 April 1915 the 164 (Rotherham) Howitzer Brigade Royal Field Artillery was formed as part of Kitcheners New Army . The Brigade consisted of 4 batteries  - A , B , C & D .Their initial training took place in Clifton Park Rotherham later moving to Richmond in North Yorkshire , Strenshall and finally Salisbury Plain. In November 1915 they received orders to prepare to sail to France and they landed in Dec 1915 initially with 31st Division. By early January 1916 they were at the front in France with 32nd Division.

One of the first casualties was Cpl George Rotherforth L/19843 of B battery born in Whiston in 1885. He died of wounds received near Albert on 18 Jan 1916 and is buried at Authuile Military cemetery.

The Rotherham Brigade was broken up on 17 Sept 1916 and men mainly transferred to 168th (Huddersfield) Brigade Royal Field Artillery consisting of men from the Huddersfield and Holmfirth areas so they retained a Yorkshire connection.

A battery 164th was absorbed by D battery 155th

B battery 164th was absorbed by C battery 168th

C battery 164th was absorbed by A battery 168th

D battery 164th was absorbed by D battery 168th

Thank you very much indeed for this information. I shall examine the records that I have again and see if there is any indication of which battery he was with. 

Ian