Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BENALLA WAR CEMETERY - Photo needed

Phil Wood

Any pal down under who can supply a photo from Benalla War Cemetery?

Bell, E G, Flying Officer, Royal Air Force, 54293, Plot C. Row B. Grave 1

Ever hopeful - Phil

Thanks Diane - do you know what the copyright situation is with that website?

Okay - I was hoping you were involved with it as the online enquiry form is suspended at the present. 

Thanks anyway, but I need an image with permission to use it on my website.

Phil,

Why not email the cemetery and seek permission to use theirs? I am sure accommodation could be come to.

mark

If I could find an email address for the website I would have used it.

However, my problem is solved, while searching for contact detials for that website I came across a better photo of the grave in Wikimedia Commons - https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Benalla_War_Cemetery_Headstone_-_Bell.JPG

Hi Phil

Co-incidence or what. I was just researching this chap as he is on the Brewood War Memorial.

Regards,

Graeme

Hi Graeme,

He has been researched for the Hungerford Vitrual Museum - http://www.hungerfordvirtualmuseum.co.uk/index.php/21-themes/war-memorial-2nd-world-war/601-ernie-bell

It is good to know he is remembered in Brewood.  Would you be prepared to supply pictures of the memorial for use on my website at a later date (I hope to introduce a photo gallery feature).  If possible I'd like a general view of the memorial and a close-up in which you can read his name.  

He is on two local (to me) memorials - in the church at Woodlands St Mary and Hungerford Primary School.  Feel free to use the photograph of the Woodlands St Mary memorial from my website if it is of use. I can let you have a general view of the church if it is of interest.

Sadly I have not yet obtained access to photograph the Hungerford Primary School memorial which bears his name - but this intechange had prompted me to contact the school so, with luck, I will have pictures before too long.

I have done very little research on him myself - but can tell you that his parents were living at a house on Inholmes Common in Woodlands St Mary in 1939 - which explains his commemoration there.

Phil

Hi Phil

I have pics I took years ago of the memorial which you can have, obviously copyright free. The names were carved in the memorial but have faded over time and they are now on metal plates.

I also have the accident report for the crash.

If you PM me an e-mail address, I'll send over what I have,

Regards,

Graeme

PS. I'm rather glad you mentioned the pictures. I'd totally forgotten that I visited the Brewood cemetery and memorial years ago and took pictures of all the headstones etc. They were stored away on my external hard drive, totally forgotten about. I was planning a trip to take them all, now I do not have to. Cheers.

5 hours ago, Phil Wood said:

If I could find an email address for the website I would have used it.

However, my problem is solved, while searching for contact detials for that website I came across a better photo of the grave in Wikimedia Commons - https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Benalla_War_Cemetery_Headstone_-_Bell.JPG

Sorry PHIL, didn't mean to sound like I was patronising. Glad you found an image. Wish I was closer so I could have helped.

Mark

No problems Mark, not only have I found an image this thread has also made contact with another researcher with new information about F/O Bell.  I am more than pleased with the result!

Phil