Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pic of Great Grandad

MicolStud

I look on this site every day hoping that someone might be able to help me with a query.

I'm tracing my family tree, I managed to find my g/grandads name and regiment number, he was called Oliver Field G/9168 he served in the middlesex regiment in ww1, he was killed in action and I was very lucky to find his burnt records at kew. I really am trying to find a photo of him, has anybody got any suggestions on how I might go on about this.

I would love to put a face to this man as I feel like I have found out so much about him. I would be very grateful of any information passed on to me. Thanks Michelle <_<

I know you probably already have this but:

Name: FIELD, OLIVER

Initials: O

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Middlesex Regiment

Unit Text: "C" Coy. 13th Bn.

Date of Death: 31/08/1916

Service No: G/9168

Additional information: Husband of Mary Field, of 10, Agatha St., New Gravel Lane, Wapping, London.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 12 D and 13 B

Cemetery: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

Soldiers, is probably the busiest thread on the Forum and so things do get missed. I am sure if anyone can help they will.

I did look in De Ruvigny's Roll of Honour, but I'm afraid he isn't in there.

Unless someone has a photo of his specific company, then this may be a very difficult task. Have you tried emailing the photograph archivist at the National Army Museum, or the Imperial War Museum. How about local newspapers from the era?

Welcome to the Forum btw, I have sent you pm.

Kind regards

Hi Michelle,

Your best bet is probably the local papers. Families often posted pictures and obituaries of those who died. I have had some success hounding family members all around the world. Some times it is amazing what photo's can turn up.

Rgds

Tim D

Very true, I found a number of pics of chaps from my old school by doing this. Very long winded, very slow, but boy is it worth it when you find one!

Hi Michell & welcome to the forum B)

As the other Pals say, keep looking, its well worth the effort if / when you do come up with his pic. Definitely hound the family & check the papers out.

Good luck - hope you get what you want

Steve :D

Hello All,

What is 'De Ruvigny's' , I have a similar problem, trying find a picture of my relatives below.....

esp my Great Uncle PT Staunton (Regular Army), I'd like to get hold of it so I can see what I can find.....

Regards

Soren :huh:

Hello All,

What is 'De Ruvigny's' , I have a similar problem, trying find a picture of my relatives below.....

esp my Great Uncle PT Staunton (Regular Army), I'd like to get hold of it so I can see what I can find.....

Regards

Soren :huh:

Soren,

It is a collection of obituaries, which was started by Baron de Ruvingy after the war. Originally in 5 volumes, I think it contains something like 20,000 entries, many of which have photos. I am not certain the criteria for entry, but I believe they were sent in by next of kin in response to a national request posted in the press.

You can buy them now in two volumes from Naval and Military press, for about £120.00, or try looking on ebay. I picked up both volumes on ebay for £27 inc p+p.

It really is pot luck if there is a relevant entry. Of the 76 men I have been researching, 8 were in included in the volumes.

PM me the names you are looking for and I will have a look for you.

I have no connection to N&MP whatsoever.