Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Commander Craufurd's Mining Party' Ostende?

Simon_Fielding

Interested to see what Pals think of this: obviously Army / Marine personnel; 'Craufurd' was a monitor - might this have a Zeebrugge / Ostende link given the date? 

Resize RN Craufurd (1).jpg

Reverse:

Resize RN Craufurd (2).jpg

The monitor General Crauford was certainly at Zeebrugge - I assume a slip of the pen due to the naval connection!

Perhaps linked to Commander Charles Edward Vereker CRAUFURD RN or Commander Quentin Charles Alexander CRAUFURD RN? The surnames match the postcard.

More likely to be related to the anti-submarine defences of the Tay than Zeebrugge/Ostende.

I might have got the question wrong! Where did Zebrugge come into i?  The postcard clearly says taken at Broughton Ferry 19 May 1918.

On 18/07/2016 at 23:13, horatio2 said:

Perhaps linked to Commander Charles Edward Vereker CRAUFURD RN or Commander Quentin Charles Alexander CRAUFURD RN? The surnames match the postcard, not the ship.

In the case of Cdr CEV Craufurd RN, then see

Broughty Castle, Broughty Ferry, Johnboy, which is beside Dundee.

The monitor was General Craufurd (same surname spelling), but H2's suggestions seem much more likely ...  not least because the monitor was based at Dover.

21 minutes ago, SiegeGunner said:

Broughty Castle, Broughty Ferry, Johnboy, which is beside Dundee.

The monitor was General Craufurd (same surname spelling), but H2's suggestions seem much more likely ...  not least because the monitor was based at Dover.

Slip of the digit as well as thinking about something else!

Can't find anything relevant on Charles Edward Vereker Craufurd here: http://www.omrs.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Persian-Gulf-Shipmates-James-Kemp-OMRS2015.pdf

and archive.org is showing "error with your search", so I can't ID the Craufurd ships in the Navy List.

9 minutes ago, seaJane said:

Can't find anything relevant on Charles Edward Vereker Craufurd here: http://www.omrs.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Persian-Gulf-Shipmates-James-Kemp-OMRS2015.pdf

Perhaps useful nevertheless SJ

If the Commander in the op's photo is Craufurd,

then you may have eliminated Charles Edward Vereker, as the picture in the link seems in no way similar.

Archive.org is now searchable again, but irritatingly doesn't pick up a ship assignment for any Craufurd.

N.B. there is also a Captain Arthur Goodenough Craufurd (1879-1965) who might conceivably have been inadvertently written as commander of his ship; but he seems to have been in command of HMS HYACINTH in the East Indies at this date. 

The April 1918 Navy List (effective 18 March 1918) shows Lt Cdr (acting Commander) QCA CRAUFURD as serving for "special duties" on the books of HMS PRESIDENT, which could place him almost anywhere in UK.

It could, rather, couldn't it?!

I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that archive.org's search function is ... let's be polite and say, random!

Just come across this thread.  As it happens I live in Broughty Ferry and the building in the photograph still exists.  Broughty Ferry Castle was the base for an RE Volunteer Submarine Miners unit in 1889 and the site was  used for coastal defence guns in the Great War as well as a Mining Station.  I suggest the Postcard has nothing to do with the Monitor or the various Ostende/Zeebrugge raids.  The overall organisation in WW1 was called the Royal Marines Submarine Miners but was manned by RN, RNR, RFR and RNVR personnel  as well as RMA and RMLI.

Edited by wallace2
Grammar, sorry!

Thanks Wallace and thanks all for some great information : can't believe how wrong I was on this one! 

Please see link to RM Museum's article of Submarine Miners.

http://www.w.royalmarinesmuseum.co.uk/item/researching-family-and-royal-marine-history/royal-marine-submarine-miners-1914-19

In my research into Dundee men who served in the Royal Naval Division I came across this site when a local man had been drafted into the Submarine Miners after being seriously wounded in France.  Unfortunately, the note did not say which unit he was attached to but he joined in June 1918 so could not be in this picture.  

Thanks for linking to that informative article, Wallace, which evidently comes originally from Blumberg, which I have but for some reason often seem to overlook.

Simon / Sea Jane / S.Gunner ; see the following.  No idea if `same man'. But he seems to have been serving Mid-East ??

CRAUFORD Charles E.V N/E Lt.Cdr. RN 81J041 Bellona N/E 07.04.19 G(M)

At Aden 16.08.17 to 31.01.18 Mentioned in Despatches.

Brought to notice for gallant - distinguished service rendered in connection with the Military Operations at Aden.

Sadsac

Edited by sadsac

Here is a picture of the site of the original photograph taken yesterday.  There is no public access so was taken through a gap at the gate. 

IMG-20160801-WA0001.jpg

Fantastic! Thank you!