Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Replacment medals

T8HANTS

Hi

I know nothing about medal collecting, and I have to admit it doesn't do a lot for me, but I came across the following advert in Soldier mag "Lost your medals? we can replace them now, from Queen Victoria to the present day, etc".

So my Question is, Oh knowlegeable ones. Are these restrikes or renamed and what does the collecting fraternity think of them? I would like to replace the medals for my G' Uncle listed below, that were lost in the Blitz. Would they be worth the cost and would I be erasing somebody else's memory and medals. Gareth

Gareth,

These would almost certainly be replica medals. There are several companies that supply copy/replica medals in the market place at the moment. There is a push amongst the medal collecting fraternity to get the reputable companies to mark their products "copy" and indeed some do. They are in business to meet the demands of customers such as yourself. There are however others whose sole intent is to deceive and catch out the unwary.

The practice of naming up previously unnamed/blank medals is perhaps harmless, as in general modern naming styles allow these medals to be distinguished from contemporary named medals. However having properly named medals erased and renamed is to be abhorred as it denies the original recipient his place in medallic history. Imagine if this was to happen to your ancestors medals....

Regards

Steve

Hi

Thanks all, if they are fairly clear reproductions I would consider them, as my own personal mementos. I wouldn't contemplate a rename, no matter who's it had been, Indian Army and all. Gareth