Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battalion movements on 28/29 March 17

Dawn Vaughan

• Admin

All the information you have indicates he joined the KRRC around late Sept/early Oct 1916.

There is a possibility that he joined a different unit before that date and was transferred to the KRRC in Sept/Oct 1916 when he was allotted his KRRC number.

If he were to have had earlier service with a different unit, then it is not recorded in SDGW and from his WG any such service would have been after March 1916.

Russ

• Admin

Do you know his age when he died?

From the information you have for him, one can not be certain whether he voluntarily enlisted or was called-up.

Regards

8 minutes ago, RussT said:

Sorry Dawn, I don't understand what you are saying - where is the contradiction?

Russ

I agree Russ.

I can't see the contradiction - the war gratuity confirms less than 12 months service which lands right in the area where you'd expect, based on surrounding service numbers. If he had earlier service with another unit it either wasn't for long or it wasn't service that accrued a gratuity entitlement (which is the less likely explanation).

Craig

He was 25 when he died-

Conradiction is on battalion movement. I just think maybe the 'table of moves' isnt in chronological order with battalion operation order. One says Dainville the other mentions Beaurains.... 

5 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

I agree Russ.

I can't see the contradiction - the war gratuity confirms less than 12 months service which lands right in the area where you'd expect, based on surrounding service numbers. If he had earlier service with another unit it either wasn't for long or it wasn't service that accrued a gratuity entitlement (which is the less likely explanation).

Craig

Sorry guys, you probably realise i am a'rooky' on all this.... Do the trench map referances on the operation order M.11.B 8.2 TO M.6.C. 8.3 mean, that M is the trench map and 11.b.8.2 etc are the co-ordinats?   

11 hours ago, GraemeClarke said:

Hi

The battalion moved into 'trenches in front of Beaurain' on Sunday 25th and remained there until relieved by 7KRRC on Monday 28th. Suffered 12 casualties during this tour.

Moved to 'cellars and caves' at Ronville until Sunday 1 April 1917.

Regards,

Graeme

Graeme,  the trench map 51C on the 22nd around Dainville fits with the operation order. Then on the 23rd it has no trench map number but talks about the co-ordinates assuming still 51C but that isnt near Beaurains.... It talks about the KRRC being on the front line? It talks about the enamy fleeing Beaurains. If you have any further info i would really appreciate it. Thanks