Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

mauser ?

BIFFO

found these in one of my bits boxes,are they for a mauser ?

I am looking to buy two empty clips if any one has for sale please pm me

mauser_zpsk2v7ool8.jpg

They appear to be 7.92 X 57mm Mauser cartridges, the standard round of Germany 1888 through 1945.

Going by the slightly out of focus headstamp shown, it appears that the cartridge was made by Polte in 1916.

thank you tha`ll do nicely :)

Biffo

I will see if I have a couple of clips spare. Will be good battlefield pick ups but will take your bullets. Stand by will need to go into out house.

Looking at the marks on the cases I would say that these cartridges were originally in a woven m.g. feed belt, not a charger  (clip). - SW

1 hour ago, calibre792x57.y said:

Looking at the marks on the cases I would say that these cartridges were originally in a woven m.g. feed belt, not a charger  (clip). - SW

You are absolutely correct.  However, display in in chargers would be fine, the ammunition for machine guns and rifles was the same.  

If it were my decision to make, I would display the ammunition loose as we see it now.

2 hours ago, calibre792x57.y said:

Thanks SW - I wondered what those marks were!

thanks chaps BTW I managed to shift my mauser bolt had a look up the spout nothing nasty up there

Biffo :D

11 hours ago, BIFFO said:

thanks chaps BTW I managed to shift my mauser bolt had a look up the spout nothing nasty up there

Biffo :D

I note you have tried to pm me however the GWF message function is currently broke and i cannot open it. Do you still require clips?

Regards

TT

They look as if they may've been deactivated by pushing the bullet into a gun muzzle and working it loose so as to dump the propellant - that's why the case mouths look a bit belled-out. They could, of course, be resized in a reloading die to restore the tight fit, but that would likely wipe out the fabric-markings noted above.

mr trotter can you use my e mail that its on my profile,I also cannot message you,SILLY INIT :wub:

Err forgot to say,YES PLEASE TT,any thing  would be good :D

23 hours ago, BIFFO said:

Err forgot to say,YES PLEASE TT,any thing  would be good :D

pm sent. clips found and will send to you free of charge. See pm for my e mail address so you can send me postal address.

TT