Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British battalions on the Somme

stu

I am interested in the front cover pic ... if it's the cover with the fifers leading troops along a road.

Can you tell me if there is any caption available?

Thanks Des

Des,

All it says about the front photograph (drummers and fifers) is jacket photograph "Taylor Library"

Andy

I am interested in the front cover pic ... if it's the cover with the fifers leading troops along a road.

Can you tell me if there is any caption available?

Thanks Des

I know what you were thinking Des

Welsh Guards! ;)

Roger :D

Having seen the cover image on Google, I was hoping it was a 36th DIV unit!

Worth the try!! :D

I was hoping it was a 36th DIV unit!

Thats what I thought you were thinking :P

Roger.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Stu,

My grandfather narrowly missed the Battle of the Somme. A second lieutenant in the 2nd Middlesex, he left the front in May 1916 with severe shell shock. However, his photoalbum has several photos of friends with the annotation 'Died Somme 1st July'.

I have read somewhere that of the 600 men of the 2nd Middlesex that went over the top at 7.30 only 22 came back. What does your book say about the casualties?

The thought of this slaughter sends a chill down my spine. If my gf had served another six weeks, I would not be here ...

Justin

Hi Justin, :)

I have a copy too and I've just looked up the 2nd Middlesex and it says:-

' 23rd Brigade, 8th Division: On right of 23rd Brigade's attack up Mash Valley towards Ovilliers. Only 1 of the 23 Officers that moved forward at zero hour returned unwounded and among the 650 NCO's and men that went over the top, just 50 were ably to answer roll call. Withdrew to bivouacs near Millencourt (2/7)'.

In Martin Middlebrook's The First Day On The Somme He gives these figures:- Officers 23, Men 517, Total 540. It is incredible to see from his list that even with those casualty figures, 17 Battalions suffered higher casualty rates than them.

Cheers

Tim.

Hello Tim,

Thank you for the looking up the figures. The slaughter is truly unimaginable!

Which do you think is the more authoritative source?

Do MM's figures (

Officers 23, Men 517, Total 540) refer to casualties, i.e. dead and wounded? Does he say how many rose out of the trenches that morning?

Justin