Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

5 Royal Scots Gallipoli

danny

Hi All

I have been given some information concerning a Gallipoli casualty of this unit and wondered if anyone could tell me at which beach the unit landed. His MIC has the date of the 25th. Also, his death was registered on the 9th of July and I was wondering in which action this could have occured. Many thanks in advance.

Danny

I suspect he was wounded on 28th June, when the 5th Royal Scots took part in, I believe, there first main attack.

I will have a look to see what else I can find.

All the best,

Tim

Sunday, 25 April, 1915, General Hamilton realized the problems at V Beach and diverted the remainder of the 88th Brigade, including 1/5 Royal Scots, to W Beach. (From Helles Landing, Gallipoli by Huw & Jill Rodge). The 1/5 Royal Scots was a Territorial Force battalion (I believe the only TF infantry battalion) to be assigned to the 29h Division.

Mike

Mike [CSMMo] is correct in his info as supplied by the Rodge’s book

However it should be pointed out that this seems to be at odds with the usually reliable Westlake, who writes as follows in his ‘British Regiments at Gallipoli.’

1/5th Battalion (Queen’s Edinburgh Rifles) (TF)

“Arrived Lemnos [13th April]. Practiced descending rope ladders into boats and landing under fire. Two companies sailed for Gallipoli 3.30 pm [25th April]. Landed ‘V’ Beach, Helles 12.30 pm without casualties. Moved forward to support trenches. Two remaining companies landed and provided working parties on beach.”

Regarding July 1915, Westlake has the following

“Withdrew to ‘X’ Beach [3rd July]. Major John Ewing notes that Battalion had been reduced to less than the strength of one company. None of the original officers except Lieutenant-Colonel Wilson remained. Relieved 1st King’s Own Scottish Borderers in firing line [7th July] – top of Gully Ravine to right. Relieved to ‘X’ Beach 4.00 pm [11th July] “

Regards

Michael D.R.

I have been doing a little more reading and trying to get behind the difference in the story as it is told by first by Rodge and then by Westlake

The Official History describes the plan whereby Brig-Gen Napier was to land with part the 88th Brigade [1st Essex, 4th Worcesters and 2 companies each from the Hants and the 5th Royal Scots] on the right of ‘V’ Beach. Napier did attempt to land at ‘V’ Beach with 2 platoons of Worcesters and 2 companies of Hants, but the result was a disaster with Napier and many others killed.

The Essex had already been diverted to reinforce ‘W’ Beach earlier in the morning and now the remainder of the brigade were sent there too. The strength of the line at the end of the day is described in a foot note [p.243] which mentions “One company 1/5th R. Scots was in reserve on the beach” - that is ‘W’ Beach

The next mention of the 5th R Scots in the Official History is at 0800 hrs on 28th April when in a description of the 88th Brigade line, the 5th R Scots are described as “not yet complete”

Perhaps Westlake got some other info direct from the 5th R Scots War Diary?

Regarding the 9th July; sorry but the OH offers no more light on this

Regards

Michael D.R.

Many thanks for the information folks which I will pass on to my colleague. She only discovered this relative after a box "full of old war rubbish" (her words I assure you) arrived through the post from a house clearing of a forgotten relative. To be fair to her she is now keenly interested and will be delighted, especially as I can pin down some of the details now. Thanks for your help Michael and according to his MIC he was KiA.

Cheers

Danny