Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Somme Debate

Gareth Davies

Please don't anyone take this the wrong way, but why? (Why hold it, not why watch it). Is there nothing more relevant to their jobs to deal with - I'm pretty sure I could come up with a few ideas.

I agree.

Is the debate on whether this is, indeed, the centenary? (Does anyone have a calculator...?)

Or a debate on what we should do to commemorate it? (In which case I might suggest this is a little late for a debate!)

Either way, yes, I suspect they could be making better use of the limited time left before they all disappear on their summer hols...

James

Opinions vary of course and it sounds well worth listening to what will be said. By the way this forum is I understand entirely non-political which I completely agree with. There is of course "social media" if anyone wishes to debate a particular political element.

Norman

• Admin

I don't think it will be a debate as such but rather more a case of members saying how terrible it was etc. There might be a few stories from constituents passed on to their MP which could be interesting.

1 hour ago, Seadog said:

Opinions vary of course and it sounds well worth listening to what will be said. By the way this forum is I understand entirely non-political which I completely agree with. There is of course "social media" if anyone wishes to debate a particular political element.

Norman

No-one's debating a political point, Norman; I am merely wondering whether politicians don't have more important things to worry about.

30 minutes ago, spof said:

I don't think it will be a debate as such but rather more a case of members saying how terrible it was etc. There might be a few stories from constituents passed on to their MP which could be interesting.

Hmmmm ... if they have the usual accuracy of family history it could be extremely interesting.

I'll say it even though it will make me unpopular: I am becoming heartily tired of the bandwagon-jumping and silly ideas this centenary is creating. Whistles at 0730; debates in Parliament; Somme Shrouds. For goodness' sake.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Hmmmm ... if they have the usual accuracy of family history it could be extremely interesting.

True enough but if it makes even a snippet of information public, it could help someone researching a soldier/unit/town to the confirm or refute the story.

3 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

I'll say it even though it will make me unpopular: I am becoming heartily tired of the bandwagon-jumping and silly ideas this centenary is creating. Whistles at 0730; debates in Parliament; Somme Shrouds. For goodness' sake.

And all without apparently any research in to the background as to why the battle was fought and why it was fought as it was...

Murrison:  Commemoration "truly fantastic job".

Murrison: Most value extracted from the centenary has been in Northern Ireland and has been a joy to behold.

It's all got a bit Ireland/Ulster/Northern Ireland focused right now.

Keith Simpson is talking sense (and wearing a Louts' tie).

Oh no, she just said Lions led by Donkeys. And she doesn't know her ANZAC history despite her Oz heritage.

And now, after some good Boarshead/Sussex words, we are back in Ulster.

And now Pals' Bns.

And now Portsmouth Pals.

Two observations from the debate:

1.  I am not sure what the point of the whole thing was.

2.  You lot aren't really in to live update posts.

1. A chance to spout bo££ocks

2. Work, followed by SWt, followed by dog walking. No. I'm not.

There only appeared to be about 20 MPs in the chamber. Still there was (referring to the Ulster Division) something along the lines that "it is said that many of the men went over the top wearing orange sashes" - a subject that I seem to recall was of some debate a year or so ago on the forum.

Regards

Chris

I deliberately avoided mentioning that, and Bob Stewart's 'No Surrender' interjection.

I still don't know what the point of it was (although I support Mr B's suggestion).