Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Floodlighting of the Thiepval memorial

nigelcave

I have just ambled outside, from near Beaumont Hamel, and seen the Thiepval Memorial floodlit. I must say, it looks magnificent.

Can you post a pic please Nigel if possible.

Would be very grateful.

Gary.

Alas, too far away - and have had one too many to drive around safely. I might have a bash tomorrow evening - but am over here for several days and am bound to have an alcohol free evening in that time frame!

Nigel

Sounds wonderful; I'll look forward to seeing the outcome. I'm trying to picture it in my mind but I don't know the area well apart from the Sunken Road and Hawthorn Crater area; are you on the Ocean Villas side of the village or on the Beaucourt side?

Pete.

Does anyone know if it will remain lit from now on, or is it only for the duration of the Somme centenary?

4 hours ago, nigelcave said:

The CWGC website implies that it is not for the short term - i.e. it will be a permanent feature. 

Thanks Nigel.

Very impressive lighting all around with every grave headstone illuminated individually, the Cross of Sacrifice appeared to be also lit.

On 29/06/2016 at 08:14, Seadog said:

Why?

Well, someone will  have to pay the electrivity bill. I can't see the British wanting to do it forever.

Pardon me for stating the blindingly obvious but if you are that concerned perhaps asking the CWGC may help you. Bearing in mind that the Menin Gate is illuminated I fail to see the difference.

Regards

Norman

1 hour ago, healdav said:

Well, someone will  have to pay the electrivity bill. I can't see the British wanting to do it forever.

I'm sure there are some with respect to the monument and what it stands for that would like to see it continue.

Don't you agree?

Gary. 

I for one would very much wish it to continue and am looking forward to seeing it later in the year. 

Thanks Keith.

As it goes, who would charge the Fallen a bill for electricity???

Do we split the bill at thiepval between the French and the rest.

3 hours ago, healdav said:

Stop Battlefield Touring! 

you have no respect for them, so why do it?

11 hours ago, 17107BM said:

Stop Battlefield Touring! 

you have no respect for them, so why do it?

I only asked who was paying the electricity bill. I don't see what respect has to do with it.

Simple question, noticeable that no one has answered.

The whole ceremony at Thiepval yesterday must have cost a fortune - perhaps the lighting comes from the same funding source? 

I imagine it will be in the CWGC budget and they do say it will continue permanently - or at least imply it. I suspect that modern lighting means that the fixtures and fittings have a much longer lifetime and that they probably use less power than earlier versions. The Vimy Memorial is floodlit, the Menin Gate is floodlit, the St Julian Memorial is floodlit - amongst others - so I do not see this as some huge extra cost. Whether it would be on all during the hours of darkness is, of course, another matter, I suppose.