Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

DCM, MM, QSA. KSA, Trio

DCLI

Have a look at this little lot. I superb medal group. However, it is very sad to think that the original recipient has been erased from a stunning group like this.

I wonder if the new recipent had lost his or awarded them to himself. Without a regimental number is it possible to find out?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...item=2290514422

Regards to all

I`ll be interested to see what valuation members place on these. Hopefully, someone will be able to say if there is a man of that name with that entitlement. I hope there is, as otherwise there is the suspicion of someone making up a group to impress people, a practice which, I believe, was not uncommon. Phil B

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Without any provenance and all erased and later inscribed - I would pass on these.

eBay is the right place to sell them as they would not sell at a fair or a real life auction.

As for value.................. :ph34r:

I`ll be interested to see what valuation members place on these. Hopefully, someone will be able to say if there is a man of that name with that entitlement. I hope there is, as otherwise there is the suspicion of someone making up a group to impress people, a practice which, I believe, was not uncommon. Phil B

no a. osbourne listed in r.e. section of walkers d.c.m. recipents!

Guest Ian Bowbrick
I`ll be interested to see what valuation members place on these. Hopefully, someone will be able to say if there is a man of that name with that entitlement. I hope there is, as otherwise there is the suspicion of someone making up a group to impress people, a practice which, I believe, was not uncommon.  Phil B

no a. osbourne listed in r.e. section of walkers d.c.m. recipents!

Adds weight to the theory of this being a 'P-P' group. Old army slang. The polite alcohol related version is pint-puller.

:P

I was wondering when this lot would "hit" the open market - they only went for sale on Tuesday !! (no, I didn't own them).

They appeared in a local auction house along with a host of other singles and groups. I was intrigued by these ones as the auctioneer described them as "spurious" and made no reference to any of them being either genuine or copies - a sensible way to protect oneself.

Sadly I didn't have the chance to either veiw or attend the sale, but I checked on the Hammer Price for the following lots and they went as follows:

- Northants Reg Star and Bar trio - £ 130.00

- 2 x Star and Bar Trios to the RFA - £ 200.00

- 1 14 Trio to Corps, and 2 15 Trios to Corps - £ 200.00

N.B. all above Hammer Prices (ex 15% buyers Premium).

I think that most Pals would agree that with Bars unconfirmed and ? original etc and Non-Casualties, these prices were fairly close to what you would expect. By all accounts there was a lot of interest in the medals - as is always at this house, and I think this proves that the buyers knew their stuff - now the Question !!

What do the Pals think that this lot went for ????? When you know, I reckon that any questions re this little lot will be answered in a trice !!!!!

I may be wrong, and I would be prepared to admit it, but a sale with knowledgeable buyers, nearly all of whom are in the trade generally know their stuff pretty well.

Look forward to your predictions !

I cant believe what this set is currently valued at!?

Erased (or unofficially renamed) medals are of little value to me. The only use I would have for these medals would be to act as fillers for the odd broken groups in my collection. Otherwise, paper weights?

Probably nearer the £200 mark when considered as individual medals - it's too sickening to think of them as a possible group ruined.

I would imagine in a Provincial auction,especially if the audience had prior Knowledge a Hammer price of either £50.00 or something silly like £350.

It makes one wonder just who would destroy a DCM & MM by Scrubbing the naming,even 40 years hence they would have been of Comparably Higher Value than the Norm{even if it was only £7.10s & £4.00!!!}

It's up to £250 with the reserve met!

Still 2 days 6 hours to go.... any advances on £330????

I don't recognise either of the bidders, but one of 'em only has 1 feedback (newbie collector?)

Les

Probably nearer the £200 mark when considered as individual medals

Only if the DCM & MM are real...

Gavin,

From the photos they look real enough, hence the anguish all round. Perhaps then they were in fact copies or replacements which have been erased and named up?

I think £250 was the start price.

I emailed the seller and there is no army/regimental number to go with. So research is nigh on impossible.

I am not quite sure why anyone would want to buy them. Good for fillers perhaps but who has those sort of gaps?

What do the Pals think that this lot went for ????? When you know, I reckon that any questions re this little lot will be answered in a trice !!!!!

I may be wrong, and I would be prepared to admit it, but a sale with knowledgeable buyers, nearly all of whom are in the trade generally know their stuff pretty well.

Look forward to your predictions !

Well - are you going to let us know :huh: ????????

Steve