Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Joe Murray

PMHart

Hi,

Would anyone have any good quality photographs of Joe Murray of the Hood Battalion, Royal Naval Division who wrote the brilliant 'Gallipoli as I saw it'. I need them both for a film which features Joe and for our files for his 21 hour interview in the IWM Sound Archive. We would need to borrow them to scan them at very high resolution.

Hopefully yours,

Peter Hart

Peter,

I presume you have tried Len Sellers - I believe Joe's daughter-in-law is still alive and if anyone has photos I would think it will be her - I believe Len is still in contact with her.

Sorry if you have already pursued this avenue.

Peter

And of course, he also wrote "A Call To Arms" (also pub by William Kimber") which has photos of him. He also features in some of the Lyn Macdonald books so she may be another avenue worth trying.

Regards

Paul Nixon

Thanks for the ideas chums,

I had already tried Len Sellers and Joe's daughter in law. I hadn't thought of Lyn Macdonald - will try on Monday. At the moment the pictures in Call to Arms are our best source. Joe's photos must have gone somewhere!

Pete

Hi Peter - I knew Joe in the last couple of years of his life. All his papers seemed to have disappeared when he moved into a nursing home, so I fear the worst, sadly. I think 'A Call To Arms' will be your only source.