Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Advice re a possible Naval Non-Com

keithmroberts

I have found a record for harry Edward EAGER  221744 whose naval record is noted med Invalided Other diseases of nervous system(mental) on 5 May 1915.

he died on Q4 of that year in Portsmouth. The local newspaper death announcements refer only to him having died peacefully.

My thoughts turn posibly to GPI, but are there any other obvious candidates that might lead to death from diseases of the nervous system  within six months. I don't mind chancing the cost of a death certificate, but just wonder about any other likely conditions.

Keith

Keith

The only way of knowing what's what is the death certificate. Any submission to CWGC is going to have to include it in the evidence. As you'll know, the cause of death must relate to cause of discharge which, in itself, must be be caused or aggravated by service. Mental illness submissions are obviously trickier than a physical cause.

John

Thanks John, I have taken the plunge anyway and ordered the cert. As you say there is no point without getting that, and if in doubt I'll contact you once I have the result.

Keith

• 6 years later...

@keithmroberts Do you recall the outcome of this case? If he died from GPI and if this can be regarded as the same as "other diseases of nervous system (mental)" as stated on his record, then I would have thought he had a shot at commemoration. Unless, on the other hand, his long pre-war service and discharge early in the war was to count against him. I don't suppose you still have the DC?

A pension does seem to have been awarded to his widow:

61171422_EagerHenryEdward(221744)1a.jpg.ebe412db8808fc422582496efb25d396.jpg

On the other hand, there is a second card of a type I am unfamiliar with (@David Tattersfield?) which states: "Reply from S/C 15/1/17, case cannot be considered in any way as coming within the regulations, death due to general paralysis of the insane."

1544755610_EagerHenryEdward(221744)2.jpg.85f6e5b30f39efe59ce0257471da8d7d.jpg

5 minutes ago, PaulC78 said:

On the other hand, there is a second card of a type I am unfamiliar with (@David Tattersfield?) which states: "Reply from S/C 15/1/17, case cannot be considered in any way as coming within the regulations, death due to general paralysis of the insane."

This is one of the cards in the 'Widows and Dependents of Other Ranks Died' set. Not a type of card I've previously come across, but I do know there are a lot of 'exotic' cards in this set. 

1 minute ago, David Tattersfield said:

This is one of the cards in the 'Widows and Dependents of Other Ranks Died' set. Not a type of card I've previously come across, but I do know there are a lot of 'exotic' cards in this set. 

Thanks David!

I didn't submit it as I was advised by the IFCP team that he would be turned down. The disease not being incurred as a result of  his official duties.

Keith