Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lancer Uniform

roger

I’m looking for information regarding the uniform worn by British Lancer Regiments c. 1914-15.

First of all was the double-breasted mounted pattern greatcoat in use at this time?

Also was the Gor Blimey cap issued to the cavalry?

If anyone has a photo of these items being worn by Lancers it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Roger.

Thanks very much Stuart. It would seem photo's of Lancers are pretty rare, in the books I have anyway.

In the pics I have they are all wearing the SD cap.

Cheers,

Roger.

First of all was the double-breasted mounted pattern greatcoat in use at this time?

Also was the Gor Blimey cap issued to the cavalry?

Roger,

1 Yes. The double breasted Greatcoat MS and Coats Warm MS --Both very similar in appearance --were the prescribed regulation coats for all Cavalry. Actually 95% of photos shgow mounted men wearing the Coat Warm MS. Quick guide to differences is the true Great coat had turnback cuffs, ticket pocket, rifle patches and was much longer that the Coat Warm. The Coat warm was double breasted too, introduced in 1914 and did not have the features I just mentioned.

2. Yes the WSD (Gor Blimey) was authorized for mounted troops. It was authorized for all troops near the front and not on the Lines of Communication.

Joe Sweeney

Joe, thats great, thank you very much. Thats what I was hoping.

Thanks both Stuart and Joe for your help.

Roger.