Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

American soldier

eviltaxman

I think this is one for our American cousins.

I've had a very nice e-mail from a chap in the States, who's trying to do some research on a friends relative. He's got the soldiers Victory medal, with Somme Offensive, St. Michel, and Meuse clasps and the mans dogtags.

The chap in question is/was Harry Machoni, serial number 2469211.

He doesn't know what unit/Btn/Corps he was in. I've pointed him in the direction of a great site I've used for reference (Diggerhistory.info) and to his local library to see if they have a copy of Laslo's book.

I think what the guy wants is info regarding where records may be kept of the soldier (their version of NA?)

Can anyone shed any light please?

Cheers,

Les.

He can try writing National Military Personnel Records Center St Louis. He should get the form he needs off internet 1st. In about a year they will tell him they burned in 1970. If he knows Division or REgiment we can make a good guess at his state, he can email their adjutant general & have a real chance at getting records. Trouble is I don't remember if that's on tags, doubt it though seems like they have name serial# blood type. Mine was beer flavor :lol:

Les:

There are two ways to go; first they can go to the NARA website at:

http://www.archives.gov/facilities/mo/st_l...el_records.html

Most WWI - era service records are destroyed; little hope there.

The better course is to go through state records; if they can find which state he enlisted from; they can contact that state's "Department of Military Affairs" or Archives for more records.

If you need further, pls email. I know some people who know some people...

Your cousin

Kevin

Les:

I'll bet with that name he's from the East Coast.

Let me see if I can narrow down a Division from the clasps...if its the 42d they've got lots of records. If its the First Division I know the museum people.

hi Les,

That's an off-beat combination, I will have a look when I get home to see if I can pinpoint the unit but off the top of my head I would guess an Engineer unit, I don't think those particular three bars were earned by a particular AEF Infantry division.

Would happily be proven wrong, though.

Neil

ArmyOfficer...... you may well be right. I've been advised that the guy was Italian or Italian/American. He's since changed his name to Machon

Neil......... any pointers would be very greatfully received.

I know the 3 clasps are fairly common-place, but I don't know enough about them individually to say otherwise.

I'm open to any/all comments (cleans ones!)

Cheers,

Les.

Hi Les,

The combination of S-O, S.M. and M.A. is untraceable to specific unit by using 'Battle Participation of Organizations of the AEF in France, Belgium and Italy.'

What's interesting is that elements of the 33rd (Illinois) Division participted in each of the campaigns presented but no one unit earned all three.

Strange there is no Defensive Sector bar.

So unfortunately, I can't help you ID his unit.

Sorry,

Neil

This is an odd combination. Doggone near the whole AEF took part in Meuse-Argonne; much of it in St.-Mihiel. But only II Corps and the 27th & 30th Division were under British command on the Somme. So the question is what unit was reassigned from the Somme in early September to get to St. Mihiel, and then remained there for M-A? Published official records and order of battle summaries show that all of II Corps and its corps troops, and all of both 27th & 30th Divisions remained on the Somme, under British Command, through November.

I can't figure any U.S. unit that would be entitled to all three of those campaign credits.

Therefore, it looks to me as if there are three remaining possibilities:

a. The medal has a rogue campaign bar on it for the Somme, or else two rogue bars for M-A and St. Mihiel.

b. The soldier was for some reason transferred from a II Corps unit after the start of the Somme operation, but before the start of the St. Mihiel operation, to a unit within First US Army.

c. The soldier belonged to one of the units pulled out of the line after Meuse - Argonne operations and then transferred to either 27th or 39th Divisions.

Without anything else; best to go thru St. Louis. My contacts tell me that the fire destroyed large parts of WW II records but the WW I records are in pretty good shape.

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

The St. Louis archives are actually reversed, most of the WW I records were destroyed but the majority of WW II survived.

take care,

Neil

Thanks to all.

I've contacted the chap and he's going to get on with writing/phoning over the weekend.

If I hear back from him, I'll certainly let you all know the outcome.

Thanks again,

Les.