Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pakenham-Walsh FW Captain Armagh

ARMAGH

Whilst researching military gravestones in St Marks C of I Armagh I have come across a Cross on a base with the names Pakenham-Walsh FW Captain no other details. There is no details on church records, date of death etc. having checked various sites I can find nothing including Ireland Census 1901 & 11, this part of the graveyard has been in use since 1900s. He may be WW1 Army or Navy
Looking advice?
Thank you
Joe

Having done a bit of a google on the name, albeit the wrong initials, there is an Irish connection, so I wonder if this is him?

Robert Pakenham Walsh, born 1865, married Florence Mary Allfrey in 1886, she died a widow in Dublin in 1917. Robert was a Lieutenant in the 5th Bn, Royal Irish Regiment in 1882. In 1883 he was a Lieutenant in the 3rd Bn, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers. In the London Gazette of 25 March 1902 he was a Captain in the 4th Bn, Royal Dublin Fusiliers.

Moriaty

Many thanks for your help, I have a photo of the grave but can't down load, F W are the initials. I have checked the Army lists to day in the museum plenty of Pakenham Walsh but none with the initials FW so maybe he is Navy?

Evening,

No idea if this is any help at all, but firing it into the mix..taken from 'Eddies' site..Northern Whig 24th April 1909..

Marriages

HOARE--GRIFFIN -- April 15, at St. Margaret's, Westminster, by the Rev. A. R. Hoare, Charles Hervey, eldest son of the late Charles Hoare, of 37, Fleet Street, to Marie Elizabeth, widow of Sir Lepel Griffin, K.C.S.I.

MACKENZIE--SKEGG -- March 12, at the British Episcopal Church, Foo Chow, South China, by Bishop M'Carthy Price, assisted by the Rev. W. S. Pakenham Walsh, M.A., the Rev. Marcus Mackenzie, B.A., M.B., C.M., of the Dublin University Fuh-Kien Mission, to Ethel Florence, youngest daughter of John J. Skegg, of Sidcup, and late of Craven Street, Strand.

regards,

David

Thanks David, I have seen those details before I am sure there is a connection but today I found that he is Frederick William Pakenham Walsh died 16 July 1930  age 72 and his address is The Rectory Armagh which is the C of I Cathedral I checked the Armagh Cleric book no mention of his name, but I will go back to the army lists book now that I have a dob many thanks for your help, will let you know what I find if any thing.

Joe   

No F W Pakenham-Walsh in the National Archives via Discovery catalogue (and that would pick him up if he were Navy), but plenty of others including one un-initialled: http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r/2?_q=Pakenham-Walsh&_st=adv&_dss=range&_ro=any&_p=1900

No F W Pakenham-Walsh on FreeBMD either or on the Irish census so far as I can see http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

I'm just going through the Times Digital Archive results for the name.

R P and W P (who may in fact be W) in the Royal Engineers, W P in the Royal Field Artillery later - but no F W. Sorry. (That's from 1915-1921). Could Winthrop be missing an initial F from his name, or could W P have been rendered P W and the end worn off the P?

Capt. Winthrop Pakenham-Walsh & Capt. Ridley Pakenham-Walsh, 10 December 1915

Evening,

a complete aside and I apologise if it distracts from the original post..

I wonder if the persons mentioned were the authors of the 'Winthrop' theory of open ground search etc.?? I had always thought it was a recent thing but I stand to be corrected..

regards,

David