Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench map Vaucellette Farm area 22/3/1918

david murdoch

Can someone help me with a trench map of this area for the British trenches prior to the German offensive March 1918.

The area I'm looking at would be just north of Epehy village. Trying to pinpoint where 2nd Linconshires were in the line at that time. On 22nd they were pushed back over the afternoon and regrouped at a point just north of Heudicourt at 17:00. 1st Linconshires were at a pioneer depot somewhere on the road between Heudicourt and Saulcourt.

Looks like this area straddles grids 62cNE2 and 57cSE

Thanks in advance David

post-446-0-22195300-1465520400_thumb.jpg

Work through the maps 57c on this page: http://lt1.mcmaster.ca/ww1/wrz4mp.php?grid=57c- HEUDECOURT is in the square W21.

Epehy and south can be found here: http://lt1.mcmaster.ca/ww1/wrz4mp.php?grid=62cmaps references 62cNE2 in square F1.

I was unable to find a map covering the entire area shown in your image, but you may have better luck.

Mark

Thanks Mark.

I'll do some hunting.

Hi David,

Below is part of a map which is in the 21 Division HQ (General Staff) diary. I think that the map shows the area/positions that you want.

post-113776-0-68364700-1465637731_thumb.

There is a note associated with the map which says that although not drawn until 9th September 1918, it shows the trenches, etc as of 21st March 1918. The note says that at 5.00 am the 2nd Battalion was (in bivouacs and huts) in the Brigade Reserve, 50 yards west of BRICK YARD in W.21.c., and that about 5.10 am, they moved:

Battalion HQ to Railway Cutting, W.23.a

Right Forward Company. 'A' Company. Trench astride Road, W.23.d

Left Forward Company. 'D' Company. Trench astride Railway, W.24

Battalion Support. 'B' Company. Trench astride Railway, W.23 central

Support to 1/Linc's. 'C' Company. Trench between CHAPEL HILL W.18.a.9.6, and GENIN WELL COPSE, W.18.a.1.1

It says that the positions were reached at varying times due to thick mist, heavy shelling, etc., but that all companies were in place by 8 am. It goes on to say that at 9 pm the disposition of the 2nd Battalion was the same as the above, except it wasn't certain if 'C' Company, in support of the 1/Linc's had moved by then.

Regards

Chris