Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Jakob Stolz- Artillery Corps No. 25

new3.2

In an antique shop, I recently found a large pewter plate that has a 1914-1915 reference to Jakob Stolz of Artillery Corps No. 25. Since my family came from the Darmstadt area, I wonder what Stolz's GW history was. Chris will post the plate photo if I can forward it.

new3.2

Ken's Plate:

post-14525-0-96983200-1465348209_thumb.j post-14525-0-85877700-1465348210_thumb.j

post-14525-0-29679400-1465348211_thumb.j post-14525-0-74468800-1465348211_thumb.j

post-14525-0-19199600-1465348212_thumb.j

Hello!

That it´s hard to research. We don´t know the unit and the place of birth of the man. There are 23 Jakob Stolz in the casualty list.

http://des.genealogy.net/eingabe-verlustlisten/search/index

Hessen only had a "Artillerie-Korps", without a number.

In that corps were the Feldart.Rgt.25 and 61 (Feldart.Brig.25), and the Fußart.Rgt.3

Maybe he served in the staff of that corps?

Hello,

Artillerie-Korps 25 is a unit name made out of two units names for the 1. Großherzoglich Hessisches Feldartillerie-Regiment 25, which was known also as Großherzogliches Artilleriekorps. The man probably served in this regiment, I would say.

It's similar as if you would say for the British army: 1st Foot Royal Scots Regiment or something similar.

As the archives of the unit have not survived, it's parobably difficult to find out more.

Jan

Not trying to "pick an argument, but I believe all of the German Armies except the

Bavarian Army had a shared unit numbering system, and I believe that Fussartillerie=

Regiment Nr. 3 was the heavy artillery regiment of the III Armeekorps, which was a

Prussian formation. I have an interest as I believe that my grand-father, Heinrich

Fuchs, was a NCO in that unit before being selected for training as a Feuerwerker,

and then later as an Explosives Officer, and as such served in the Generalkommando

of III. Reservekorps in Belgium in 1914 and in Russia in 1915.

I can't state an informed opinion, but the term "Artilleriekorps" seems an odd one.

Perhaps a term exclusive to Hessen? Did it mean the divisional artillery of a Hessian

infantry division? Was Hesse's infantry division the 25. ID? (My reference books are

not very accessible now.) Perhaps "Artilleriekorps Nr. 25" was a term for the divisional

artillery of the "Infantrie Division Nr. 25."

As I was pecking away with my half-formed thoughts, Jan was also writing his

much-better informed opinion. Hats off to one of our most expert experts!

Thanks to Chris for posting the photos, and to all who contributed information to my request. Since the plate was found in Michigan, I would wonder if Jakob emigrated to the US after the war?

new3.2

I wonder why it says "In memory of the World War 1914-1915" ("Zur Erinnerung a.d. Weltkrieg 1914-1915").

The war certainly wasn't over in 1915, perhaps Jakob Stolz contribution to the war was?

Roel

Not trying to "pick an argument, but I believe all of the German Armies except the

Bavarian Army had a shared unit numbering system, and I believe that Fussartillerie=

Regiment Nr. 3 was the heavy artillery regiment of the III Armeekorps, which was a

Prussian formation. I have an interest as I believe that my grand-father, Heinrich

Fuchs, was a NCO in that unit before being selected for training as a Feuerwerker,

and then later as an Explosives Officer, and as such served in the Generalkommando

of III. Reservekorps in Belgium in 1914 and in Russia in 1915.

I can't state an informed opinion, but the term "Artilleriekorps" seems an odd one.

Perhaps a term exclusive to Hessen? Did it mean the divisional artillery of a Hessian

infantry division? Was Hesse's infantry division the 25. ID? (My reference books are

not very accessible now.) Perhaps "Artilleriekorps Nr. 25" was a term for the divisional

artillery of the "Infantrie Division Nr. 25."

That´s right, Bob... but not in this case...

The III.army corps didn´t had any foot-artillery.

The 3rd regiment was in Mainz and belonged to the XVIII.AK

Here is the ordre of battle from april 1, 1914

post-35295-0-67346400-1465402049_thumb.j