Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German 110th Regiment

BottsGreys

For a possible future posting around Christmastime, I am researching a German fellow who signed his photo "Grenadier Reinh. Lindner II Grs Komp. R 110 Mannheim", so I believe he must have been in the 110th Regiment or, (perhaps the 110th Reserve Inf. Regt?) A notation on the image indicates that he was KIA in 1915, and I believe that he may, therefore, be one Grenadier Reinhold Lindner, who, according to the VdK, died 18/2/1915 and is buried in Neuville-St. Vaast, France. The photographer and the postmark (Dec. 1914) are both Mannheim.

The VdK record does not give a unit, therefore, does anyone have any info which would place the 110th Regiment in that area in early 1915?

As always, any suggestions or information greatly appreciated.

Chris

I have the 110th Res. as part of the 28th Res. division. Its recruiting area fits for your postcard and photograph.

Says this division occupied the area between Ovillers to Fricourt. That seems to be in the ballpark.

Can anyone back this up?

Paul

Hello Chris,

you are right.

Reinhold Lindner, died 18/2/1915 and buried in Neuville-St. Vaast, France, was a member of the 9th Kompanie Grenadier Regiment 110. The first place he was buried in 1915 was Givenchy near La Bassee.

The 1st Ersatz Bataillon (with 2. Ers. Komp., not Grs Komp.) and also the III. Bataillon (with 9th Kompanie) of the Gren. R. 110 were located in Mannheim.

The Gren. R. 110 (55. Infanterie Brigade with Gren. Regiment 103) belonged to 28. I.D. The main fighting of 28. I.D. was February 6th - 8th 1915 near Auchy / La Bassee.

Hinrich

Paul/Hinrich:

Thanks for the replies and information--very helpful! Hinrich--thanks for the very specific info reLindner and his unit. You were correct, of course, in looking, I see that it is Ers., not Grs. I misread his fancy "E". Would you suppose that Lindner was wounded in the fighting during Feb 6th-8th and died on the 18th, or perhaps he was killed in some small action on the 18th. Or, I guess, his death date of

February 18th could be a mistake and should be the 8th. Any thoughts? (calls for speculation, I know).

Chris

Chris,

Would you suppose that Lindner was wounded in the fighting during Feb 6th-8th and died on the 18th, or perhaps he was killed in some small action on the 18th.

Yes, I also think, these are the most likely possibilities.

The fighting during February 6th-8th 1915 was the official statement on division level (28 I.D.). Unfortunately I don`t have the regimental history of Gren. R. 110 and so I can not say, what they specially did on February 18th. I am mostly collecting all kind of sources regarding the X. A.K. and X. Res. A.K. (Hannover).

May be Ralph has the book and he can help you with some close and more specific informations.

Hinrich

Hello Chris,

I checked my records, unfortunately I am missing the regimental history of the 11oth. I have the 109th Leib Grenadier Regiment and 40th Fusilier Regimnet. The 109th history does talk about this period and from the brief accounts it would seem that there was intense fighting during early February and the 110th was involved. The fighting included heavy artillery fire and small scale attacks and probes along the entire line. I would think that your man was indeed wounded and sent to the rear for treatment where he died. If he had been killed at the front more than likely he would have been buried close to the lines in a convenient shell hope or similar location.

I wish I could provide further details on the dates, if I come across anything I will pass it along to you.

Ralph