Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Flight" Roles

petet

I was reading an article which suggests that each flight in a Corps Squadron had a specific role with “A” Flight as the artillery-flight, ‘‘ B ” Flight as the counter-attack flight and C” Flight as the infantry or trench-flight.

I am not sure if this applied to all Corps Squadron but would 35 Squadron have been structured this way?

Regards

Pete

Pete: I stand to be corrected, but I have to say that I've not found that to be the case with 10 Sqn, a Corps Recce squadron from the introduction of that concept.

Hi Pete

As is usual during WW1 there is not hard and fast 'rule', it all depended on what was needed at the time. Some examples from No.3 Sqn. AFC show variation.

A programme of operations for 9 August 1918 has "A" Flight on Artillery Patrols, "B" Flight on Counter-Attack Patrols plus undertaking some vertical photos, "C" Flight engaged in undertaken Contact Patrols when called for plus some oblique photography.

In a squadron order dated 4 July 1918, "C" Flight was to provide "the usual Michelin flare patrol", this flight plus the other two were also, between 5.00 am and 3.00 pm, were to provide combined duties of Artillery and Counter-Attack Patrols.

In a squadron order dated 3 July 1918 it had "C" Flt. undertaking CAP and CP, while "A" and "B" Flts. were maintaining Arty. Patrols. All aircraft except those on CP were also carrying bombs to use on "suitable targets".

An Australian Corps order dated 27 September 1918, has No. 3 Sqn. AFC tasked with the roles of Contact Patrols, Counter-Attack Patrols and Dropping Smoke Bombs, probably roles divided by flights.

A squadron like No. 8, that was dedicated to support the Tank Corps during 1918, had its three flights dedicated to supporting different tank formations and undertaking all the tasks required by them.

For your interest an Australian Corps Order dated 1 May 1918 has the 4th Australian Division in co-operation with the Moroccan Division of the 31st French Corps in an advance. In this it states that:

"The 35th Squadron RAF will arrange a contact patrol to be in the air at approximately zero plus 30 minutes (conditions admitting) at which hour and when called for,..."

I hope that is of use.

Mike

I was reading an article which suggests that each flight in a Corps Squadron had a specific role with “A” Flight as the artillery-flight, ‘‘ B ” Flight as the counter-attack flight and C” Flight as the infantry or trench-flight.

I am not sure if this applied to all Corps Squadron but would 35 Squadron have been structured this way?

Regards

Pete

Hi

More info related to my previous post. Attached is the role of the aircraft and Flights during one day for 3 Sqn AFC.

Mike

post-57218-0-54904000-1465148709_thumb.j

Thanks, as always, for your responses; your help is always appreciated.

I will work on the basis that 35th Squadron flights operated in accordance with daily needs rather than having specific assigned roles .

Regards

Pete

I have not heard of a flight being allocated a meaning to its work previously by a letter to identify what its purpose would be.

Thanks again for the response.

[MikeMeech]

I meant to ask whether the document you posted was from a squadron ORB or was this another document that was produced at the time?. In essence, what I am asking is, would there be a similar document for 35th Squadron (other than in the squadron ORB)?

Regards

Pete

Thanks again for the response.

[MikeMeech]

I meant to ask whether the document you posted was from a squadron ORB or was this another document that was produced at the time?. In essence, what I am asking is, would there be a similar document for 35th Squadron (other than in the squadron ORB)?

Regards

Pete

Hi

Just got back from work at the museum. Yes this is from No. 3 Sqn. AFC's ORB, it looks like the duties for the Battle of Hamel on the 4th. There should be fuller details of what was done in the ORB on pages for the 4th. July. The ORB for 35 Sqn. may or may not have kept these 'preparatory orders' but they should list what each flight/aeroplane had done after the event.

Mike

Pete: For what it's worth, I've not found a 'next day's programme' like that in any of the 10 Sqn records - but something of the sort must have been posted each evening.