Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My latest EBay Purchase

N.S.Regt.

Hi

I thought I would share my lattest purchase. Most of my groups are to men who were either born in or signed up in Nova Scotia. I was rather suprised to see this grouping come up on EBay as you do not see many to the 25th Battalion from so far west. The first group is to 184130 A-L-Cpl. William James Barnes who was born in Barnesdale Ontairo June 13 1882 he had originally joined up with the 89th Battalion from Calgary Alberta. He ended up serving with the 25th Battalion Halifax Nova Scotia and according to the books DOW while with them. The odd thing about the group is that he has a dog tag to the 50th Battalion which is another Calgary unit. I suspect that he went to France with the 25th and was later transfered to the 50th as his medals are named to the 25th. I feel he may have been wounded while with the 50th while at Vimy and later died of his wounds on April 29 1917. His medals, Memorial Cross and dogtag are pictured below.

The second group is to his brother 184262 Cpl. Francis Joseph Barnes who was born also in Barnesdale Ontario on Sept 13 1893 and originally joined the 89th Battalion. I know very little about his war service other then he served with the 10th Battalion which was raised in Calgary Alberta and Winnipeg Manitoba. With his group (pictured in the next scan) was a 89th and 10th badge C-10 collars service at the front pin and a couple of Canadian legion and GWV pins. The Brothers were living in Rocky Mountain House Alberta when they enlisted. Both sets of medals appear not to be ever cleaned or polished. Thanks for looking.

Regards

N.S.Regt.

post-23-1101862377.jpg

Francis Barnes medals

post-23-1101862440.jpg

Thanks, Stephen for showing them. They look great, and nice to get the man's capbadges as well. You will enjoy researching them. :)

Chris

It is nice when you get personal items with a group I just wish I had some photos of the two.

Dave

Good to hear from you I guess this means your still alive I found a old posting of yours on the 85th fourm did you get the photo.

Chris

I see you got your photos did you see the two new ones a 25th KIA and F.P. Day who was C.O. of the 25th for a couple of months.

Thanks for your comments

Best regards

N.S.Regt.

Hi Stephen,

Very nice items. They make a great addition to your collection.

I understand that the January show will be not in Sackville but in Great Village. I hope to get down to it, and by then hopefully will have restocked my trade box!

Cheers,

Terry