Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British Military Camp in Alexandria

David26

I have been trying to get more information about a British military camp in Alexandria. The War Diary I have been looking at refers to it as ZAHRIEH Camp, but I can't find anything quite like that.

But looking at the details for the CWGC cemeteries, I see that both are near the Al Horaya road, so wonder if that might be the more modern transliteration for Zahrieh.

Do any Pals have any information about any such camps in Alexandria around July 1915?

David.

I have read of an El Zahria camp, the 2nd South Midland Mounted Bde (later the 6th Mtd Bde) were there. I think it is further up the coast from the port.

Thanks Gareth. The reference I saw to the camp was in relation to a Field Artillery brigade being sent there en route to Gallipoli. They would also have required a fair bit of stabling, so that sounds promising. I'll look further for that.

David.

Dear David,

How about Zeitoun (?): from my on-going manuscript about Capt Henry Reginald Corbett, IARO - who went from humble Railway Guard to Captain...

These candidates were ordered to proceed to the nearby Imperial School of Instruction at Zeitoun (Egypt), on 25 November 1917. The Zeitoun infantry course lasted for four weeks and all were eventually commissioned. The four former members of 25th Bty., M.M.G.S. who wanted to become pilots (Bertram Eric Turner, Sgt Arthur Macdonald, Charles Henry George Nida and his friend William Price – later killed in an air crash), went on to the RFC training squadron at Heliopolis, perhaps after finishing the Zeitoun course.

Zeitoun finished, 2Lt Henry Corbett embarked for India on 25 December 1917, ‘having been approved by the Selection Officer and passed by the Medical board in Egypt, for a commission into the Indian Army (Reserve of Officers)’. He was transferred to the General List with effect from his date of embarkation.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

David,

The War Diary of the A.D.V.S. for the Alexandria area (Feb./Mar. 1916) continually refers to it as ZAHARIEH.

post-7172-0-54231900-1464848924_thumb.jp

I also have this quote from a postcard sent by a member of Somerset RHA who were staying there.

“We were camped under canvas several miles out from Alexandria until last Wednesday, and were able to get into town nightly on the train. We saw a good deal of Alexandria and had a very good time there."

This won't help you narrow it down much but Camp Zahaarieh was overlooking Lake Maryut (and thus not where I suggested in post #2).

https://archive.org/stream/leavesfromoffice00craw/leavesfromoffice00craw_djvu.txt

Post #3:

(Henry Hunt) "Orderly to Medical Officer at Zaharieh Camp, Mustapha".

Kath.

This GWF thread, Alexandria barracks, contains two maps of Alexandria

One of the maps is available online from the National Library of Australia, and can be enlarged to a much greater extent.

http://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-231822540/view

The Lake mentioned Lake Maryut has a Wikipedia page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Mariout

On the map I wonder if this lake is near the Lighthouse, but I can't read it properly, even when enlarged.

Cheers

Maureen

Steve, David, Kath, Kim, Maureen, David,

thank you all so much.

So from the various sources it seems as if there were at least a few alternative spellings around Zahrieh, Zaharieh and Zahaarieh in use. And the name Mustapha may also be linked. I'm guessing that there must also have been quite a few camps around Alexandria at the time, given its importance, hence Mex, Zeitoun etc.

This looks like an interesting topic to study!

Many thanks again,

David.

Mate,

If I remember right "Mex camp" was outside Alex, it was the major base for operations into the Western desert.

S.B

There is a contemporary photo (and other information) of the port of Alexandria Port here on a GWF thread and as yet two unidentified places that with some luck, may be the places of interest.

Howard

Thanks Howard.

Following various of these threads I found a detailed map of Alexandria from 1959 on the University of Texas website. One of the four pages that make up the entire map of the city is here: http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/world_cities/txu-oclc-439083692-alexandria3-1959.jpgand towards the east of the map is an open area not far from the British Embassy called El Zahiriya. That looks to me to be the very likely site of the Zahrieh / Zaharieh / Zahaarieh camp.

So very many thanks to you and other Pals for your help.

David.