Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brunton Smith

andrew pugh

Hi

Could anybody advise me how to find out where this soldiers address was prior to his death which was 24/03/1918? his name is Brunton Smith L/Cpl 330346 8th Battalion Royal Scots. I know he lived in Roslin Midlothian and resided at Station Road Roslin,He was married and had 2 children, wife's name is Helen Webster Smith (formerly Anderson). I know this is an unusual request but I am trying to trace any living family members and I have to start somewhere and being Scottish records I don't really know where to begin. What records would I need to be looking for? Any help would be gratefully accepted.

Kind Regards

Andy

Hello Andy,

I would suggest you try the valuation rolls on Scotlands people for 1915 at scotlandspeople . A search shows 3 Brunton Smiths in Midlothian. This will give an address, and you may be able to check this address for 1920, 1925 and 1930, to see who is the tenant.

You could also check the 1911 Census to see where he was living.

Regards,

Alf McM

Andy,

Helen's death certificate {assuming she died in Scotland} would give you her address, and the address of the informant, who may be a relation. However, you can only access death records online at Scotlandspeople up to 1965 at present, so the best you can hope for is a 50 year old address. The only solution is to have someone check the records at New Register House, where more up to date records can be checked, but not copied. I can provide a couple of names of researchers if you are interested.

Regards,

Alf McM

• 4 months later...

I have a gravestone picture I took yesterday if that helps.

charlie.clark@email.com

Edited by SouthsideChaz
Email

• 3 months later...
Guest Tom Clague

I am the third son of Helen Anderson Clague (nee Smith), who was the elder daughter of Brunton Smith. Brunton married Helen Webster Anderson on 31st December 1913 Dewer's Hotel Roslin. Prior to marriage he lived at Margaret Place, Roslin and Helen lived at Melville Place Roslin. At the timeof his death his widow lived at Muirs (?) Buildings, Roslin.

I have various letters and documents regarding Brunton Smith.