Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Eagle eyed Navy types please!

philcr13

Hi People,

Attached is a picture of my Grandfather and mother. He served throughout the First War as can be seen by Pip, Squeak and Wilfred on his chest, and I also know he was 'Ordnance'.

Four questions.

Can any of you eagle eyed types identify his rank in this picture?

Is the small vertical stripe on his forearm a wound stripe?

Best guess please for the badge on his wrist?

In another picture he has two chevrons on his left arm, rather than the one shown here, what rank would that be?

Thank you all kindly in advance.

Phil

post-119376-0-43213000-1464700904_thumb.

Hi People,

Attached is a picture of my Grandfather and mother. He served throughout the First War as can be seen by Pip, Squeak and Wilfred on his chest, and I also know he was 'Ordnance'.

Four questions.

Can any of you eagle eyed types identify his rank in this picture?

Is the small vertical stripe on his forearm a wound stripe?

Best guess please for the badge on his wrist?

In another picture he has two chevrons on his left arm, rather than the one shown here, what rank would that be?

Thank you all kindly in advance.

Phil

What was his name ?

Craig

... just passing through, but as he's got his "trio" that should date the photo to sometime around/after about 1923.....

Obviously, with his Name (presumably it's gran sitting down :) ) expert Pals such as Craig will no doubt find Charlie's Medal Index Card, better yet Service Papers?? and much else besides

An able rate (branch badge on right arm not visible). He is wearing the cuff badge of the post-war RN Mine Clearance Service, so the photo dates to 1919-20.

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30066591

It could be a wound stripe.

Two chevrons would indicate two GCBs for a total of eight years of undetected crimes.

A name and official number would enable his rate to be determined.

Thank you all so far, I'm afraid the Navy is 'foreign' to me!

Craig, his name is Charles Edwin Crossley and his number was J42466.

He was a seaman rating. His Victory and British War medals were issued to him, marked in the rating of ordinary seaman, when he was serving in HMS VIVID after the war.

He joined as a boy seaman in 1915. He could not have earned a 1st GCB before his 21st birthday on 2 December 1920 (time before age 18 did not count towards the three years) so that helps date the picture, in which he would be rated as able seaman..

The Fleet Air Arm Museum holds his original enlistment (engagement) papers, which should include Parental Consent forms for a boy seaman.

Service ledger pages here: http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_fn=&_ln=&_no=j42466&_pl=&_sd=&_ed=&discoveryCustomSearch=true&_ser=ADM+139&_ser=ADM+188&_ser=ADM+363&_ser=ADM+362&_col=200&_hb=tna

horatio2, thanks, I wouldn't have found those in a month of Sundays!

Didn't the navy use verticle strips to indicate sinkings? If not it is a wound stripe,

When was the order to remove war chevrons, these were small chevrons to indicate each year in the war.

The chevron is his long service award.

That may also date the picture to approx 1924?

Didn't the navy use verticle strips to indicate sinkings? If not it is a wound stripe,

When was the order to remove war chevrons, these were small chevrons to indicate each year in the war.

The chevron is his long service award.

That may also date the picture to approx 1924?

The RN did not wear 'stripes for sinkings'.

The chevrons worn on the left arm were Good Conduct Badges, not 'long service awards'

I have seen for sale and also in photos unofficial stripes