Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Big Fight

dewey

I recently bought a copy of this book quite cheaply on Ebay. I just started reading it and find it very interesting. I thought that I read somewhere that David Fallon died shortly after the book came out due to wounds recieved during the war. Does anyone know if this information is accurate. Thank you, Bill

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd write and see if anyone had a response to this question, I am not sure if it is well known book, though it went through a number of printings. Thank you, Bill

Guest Benoit Douville

I have never heard about that book. I guess you have finish to read it now, can you give us a review because it sounds pretty interestings.

Regards

Dewey: He was at least alive at Christmas 1918 if my signed copy is authentic. I bought this for $2 in 1995; fly leaf is signed "Captain David Fallon MC - Xmas 1918". I did a search on ABE books about a year ago and they're pretty common to come by.

IIRC he served in the 1/1 OBLI on the Somme.

The book is better read after reading Paul Fussel's book "The Great War and Modern Memory". Definately a war time memoir and should be placed in context - he was writing much more from experience than memory.

He certainly had an interesting gamut of experience - Gallipoli and the Somme with duty as an infantry officer, aerial observer and then tank commander. Pretty badly wounded in the right arm - as the book ends he doesn't know if he'll regain use of it.