Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gallipoli programme

Ron

I saw the Gallipoli prgramme on Channel 5 last night and

thought it was quite well done apart from the re-enactment scenes at the beginning which really didn't add too much to the programme. It was interesting to see the underwater shots of the remains of the barges at V beach and the tunnels dug by the ANZACS. What you never have is any mention of the French sector and I would be interested to see some programme that dealt with it.

Ron

Ron

I can't get Channel 5 here on the South Coast, but a friend has videod the program for me and is sending it.

I agree with you that there seems to be very little written, in English at least, on the French contribution. They seem to be the forgotten soldiers of this bloody campaign.

Tim

Thanks Simon

An interesting general history.

It is interesting how the French Colonial troops were not held in very high regard, particularly the Sengalese. Hamilton referring to them as "golly-wogs" and "niggy-wigs". In those days of inherent colour prejudice I wonder what he called his own Indian forces?

I think it was French Colonials who panicked and broke under the first gas attack at Ypres in 1915. On the other hand Zouaves fought with distinction at Vimy Ridge.

Tim