Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can you identify this badge / uniform please?

Guest gould

My grandfather, who came from Manchester, we assume was in a local regiment in 1915. All we have is this photograph. Whilst the badge is visible, we cannot read it. I am hoping that if anyone out there recognises the shape etc can help. Or if anyone can point me in the right direction, that would be great

Many thanks

post-20-1101851219.jpg

Hi There,

On my computer it looks like your granfather was in the Red Cross :D

Have you got his name??

Please repost your picture it is missing.

Roop

Gould - have you tried scanning the picture in at a high resoloution, say 600dpi? I have often found I can easily look at details on a photo that I find difficult to see with just my eyes. Of course, don't post a 600dpi image here - it would take up too much bandwidth... but if you are able to scan it in at hi-res, then keep the pixel size, but save it as a 72dpi and just crop to the badge, that might do it. You can do this by scanning in at hi-res into Photoshop, then cropping to the area you want, then transferring it to ImageReady and saving as a web-graphic (72dpi). Sorry - I realise not everyone has Photoshop or ImageReady (the two come together), but it's an idea. I did it on the post here.

Best-

Garen.