Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Major C G R Pack-Beresford

DaveC

Hi Everybody

I came across Major Pack Beresford when I researching Lt Lawrence Edward Russell 2nd Bn Duke of Wellington's (West Riding) Regiment, and just want to know more about him. Kindest Regards DaveC

Lieutenant Lawrence Edward Russell

2nd Battalion The Duke Of Wellington’s (West Riding) Regiment

He was born on the 10th June, 1892, the son of Mr Russell, Bryn Digswell, Welwyn, Herts.

Joined the 2nd battalion in September, 1911, and became a Lieutenant in April, 1914

He embarked with his battalion on the 13th August, 1914. He was killed in action on the 24th August. He was last seen alive with the remnants of his platoon in close contact with the enemy. The following extract is taken from the battalion War Diary:- When the Red Cross party went out late on the 24th August, two of the Regimental Stretcher-bearers accompanied them to collect discs and identify bodies for my information, they reported to me that poor Pack-Beresford* and Russell with 21 men were found dead side by side with fixed bayonets, some still in the bodies of 16 dead Germans whose advance they had evidently received shoulder to shoulder. All these brave fellows had apparently been shot down by other Germans as in some cases the bodies riddled with bullets and there were signs of bayonet wounds. They were all buried at Wasmas, and at a later date the Germans removed their bodies to the Hautrage Military Cemetery

*Royal West Kent’s

Hi Harry

Many thanks for the info on Major Pack-Beresford. I found it quite interesting. I really appreciate it. Kindest Regards DaveC

Strange that I can find no service file for this Officer in WO339 or WO374 in the NA database.

Pack-Beresford, Charles George. (Carlow). Rank- Major. Regiment or Service; Queen's Own (Royal West Kent Regiment). Unit; 1st Battalion. Date of death; 10/09/1914. Age; 45. Death- Killed in action. Supplementary information;- Son of Denis William Pack-Beresford, D. L., of Fenagh, Co. Carlow, and Annette Caroline Pack-Beresford (nee Browne). Newspapers/Books etc; ‘Bond of Sacrifice’. …was born on the 21st of November, 1869, and was the son of denis W. Pack-Beresford, Esq., J. P., D. L., M. P., County Carlow, of Fenagh House, Bagenalstown, Ireland, and grandson of Major-General Sir Denis Pack, K. C. B. He was educated at Wellington College and the R. M. C., Sandhurst, joining the Royal West Kent Regiment as Second Lieutenant in November, 1889, becoming Lieutenant in February, 1893/. From December, 1896, to March, 1900, he was Adjutant of his Battalion, having become Captain in December, 1899, and major in March, 1908. Major Pack-Beresford was employed on the North-West Frontier of India, 1897-98, having been in Malakand and the action at Landaki; at operations in Bajaur and in the Mamund country; at Buner in the attack and capture of the Tanga Pass. For these services he received the medal with clasp. He also served in the South African War from 1900-02, and was engaged in operations in the Orange River Colony, in 1900; in the Transvaal and Cape Colony in 1900 and 1901. he was mentioned in Despatches (“London Gazette. ” September, 1901), and received the Queen’s medal with four clasps. From 1903-09, Major Pack-Beresford was Officer of a Company of Gentlemen Cadets at the R. M. C., Sandhurst. He commanded the Depot of his regiment at Maidstone from 1910 to 1911. Killed in action at Wasimes, near Mons, 24-August-1914. Carlow Sentinel August 1914. Major C. G. Pack-Beresford. Killed in Action. The announcement of the death in action of major C. G. Pack Beresford, Kent Regiment, which appeared on the sad “ honor list” issued on Wednesday, has caused intense grief to the members of his family and a large circle of friends in this his native county. Until the sorrowful news was received on Tuesday by his brother, Mr D. R. Pack-Beresford, D. L., Fenagh House, Carlow, his family were not aware that he had reached the fighting zone. He fell with many other gallant defenders of King, Fatherland, and the Empire—hero’s to a man. On both sides Major Pack-Beresford was descended from families famous in British military honours. He was second son of the late Captain Denis Pack-Beresford, who was elected Parliamentary representative of County Carlow with the late Mr Bruen, in 1865. He was grandson of the late Major-general Sir Denis Pack, K. C. B; who five times received the thanks of Parliament for his military services. Major Pack-Beresford’s mother was Lady Elizabeth Louisa Beresford, youngest child of George, first Marquis of Waterford. In compliance with the will of the late Right Hon. William Carr Viscount Beresford, K. C. B., he assumed by Royal licence, in 1854, the additional name of Beresford on succeeding to that nobleman’s estate in the County of Carlow, and married in 1863 Anette Caroline, only daughter of the late Robert Clayton Browne, Esq., D. L., of Browne’s Hill, Carlow. It is a remarkable co-incidence that the late Major Pack-Beresford died on the battle ground not far distant from the field of Waterloo, where his distinguished ancestor, Captain Pack, won his greatest military achievements. At Thursdays meeting of the Carlow Board of Guardians, a resolution of sympathy with the family of the late Major Pack-Beresford, was adopted. De Rivigny’s Roll of Honour. Pack Beresford, Charles George, Major. 1st Battalion, Queen’s Own Royal West Kent Regiment. 3rd son of Denis William Pack-Beresford, J. P., D. L., of Fenagh House, Bagnalstown, County Carlow, by his wife, Annette Caroline, only daughter of Robert Clayton Browne, of browne’s Hill, County Carlow. Born in London on 21-November-1869. Educated at Wellington College and Sandhurst. Gazetted 2nd lieutenant in the Queen’s Own, 20-November-1889. Became Lieutenant, 01-February-1893, Captain, 18-December-1899, and Major, 21-March-1908, being Adjutant 1897-1900, an instructor at the R. M. C., sandhurst, 1903-6, and Major in command of 3rd Battalion, regimental Depot, Maidstone, 1911-1914. Served with the Malakand and Buner field force on the North West Frontier of India, 1897-8, including action at Landakal, the operations in the Mamund country and Buner, also during the attack and capture of the Tanga Pass (medal with clasps); in the South African War, 1899-1901, including the operations in the Orange Free State, September, 1900-July, 1901, and in cape Colony in August, 1901, September to December 1901 (Despatches (London Gazette, 10-September-1910); Queen’s medal with four clasps); and with the Expeditionary Force in France. Killed in action at Wasimes, near Mons, 24-August-1914. Carlow Sentinel August 1914. How Major Pack-Beresford fell. A Lance Corporal of the Queens Own (Royal west Kent) regiment, who was also wounded at Mons where the West Kents lost four officers killed, including Major Pack-Beresford, describes (in the “Times”) what he saw of the fight; --We reached Mons on Saturday afternoon, August 22, the day before the battle. We at once commenced to entrench, and were still engaged on this work when the Germans fired their first shell, which wrecked a house about 20 yards away. Then, we got ready for the fight. We made loopholes in a wall near the house and remained there foe 15 hours under heavy fire of shrapnel. The Germans came across the valley in front of us in thousands, but their rifle fire as they advanced was absolutely rotten, and much damage as they did was done by the big guns which covered their advance. Numerically the Germans were far superior to us, and as soon as one lot was shot down another took its place. We retired from Mons about 4 o’clock on Monday morning to a little village on the borders of France. We kept up a rear-guard action all the way, and it was in that I was wounded. A shell dropped close to me, and some fragments penetrated my left leg. I was thrown to the ground, and for a time lay unconscious. When I recovered I found my rifle and ammunition were missing, having, I suppose been taken by the Germans who evidently thought I was dead. I last saw Major Pack-Beresford, who was in charge of “B” Company, about an hour before he fell. He was leading his men to the top of a hill, and I heard him shout, as he rushed forward, “Come on, boys; they are all ours, ” referring to some advancing Germans. Westmeath Independent, September-1914. The Athlone Board of Guardians have passed a vote of sympathy with Mr Pack-Beresford, Local Government Inspector, on the death of his brother, Major Pack-Beresford, who was killed in action. The Weekly Irish Times. Ireland’s Roll of Honour. September 12, 1914. Major C G Pack-Beresford, of the Queen’s Own Royal West Kent Regiment, who was killed, was lately in command of the depot companies at Maidstone. He was a member of an old Carlow family, was born in 1869, and served in the West Kents from 1889. He shared in the North West Frontier expedition, 1897-98 (medal with clasp), and in the South African war, including the operations in the Transvaal, Orange River Colony, and Cape Colony (mentioned in despatches, Queen’s medal with four clasps). His brother, major H G Pack-Beresford, is serving in the Highland Light Infantry. Notes- Date of death listed as 24/08/1914 (CWGC) 10/09/1914 (ODGW, Great War Memorial, Milford Street, Leighlinbridge, County Carlow). Cemetery; La Ferte-Sous-Jouarre Memorial in France. Also listed under Bagenalstown/Fenagh on the Great War Memorial, Milford Street, Leighlinbridge, County Carlow.

Hi Tom

Many Many thanks, all I can say is wow, would you have photographs of the War Memorials mentioned? Once again thank you. Kindest Regards DaveC

Not a bother.

101_2201_zpsdqqptmok.jpg

101_2182_zpszbgzzmam.jpg