Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bayonets issued to ASC drivers.

Tomo.T

Hi, I have noticed from various photos that ASC drivers and crew, when armed, carried bayonets which are shorter than the '07 pattern and have hilts similar to the 1888. This despite they are clearly armed with the SMLE rifle. I can quite understand the need for a shorter bayonet which would be far more convenient for driving, but what type were these bayonets,are they converted 1888's perhaps ?

If they are armed with the SMLE rifle then the short bayonets would most likely be the P1903, which were the same length and style as the P1888.

Cheers, S>S

like these:

post-14525-0-27164900-1464605614_thumb.j

note this also shows a MkI and MkIII SMLE and 1903 equipment.

Chris

Hi, I have noticed from various photos that ASC drivers and crew, when armed, carried bayonets which are shorter than the '07 pattern and have hilts similar to the 1888.

It would be useful to see a photograph - the pommel on the P.1903 is like the P 1907

EDIT: Tx 4G for yours which cam as I was posting! But I'd like to see one of the photographs Tomo is referring to.

In the past I had a Patt. 03 with the pommel stamp of the RASC and have seen a couple of others. It would fall in with the normal practice of issueing obscelescent arms to second line formations. - SW

Thanks for the replies, I think the answer is the '03 patt. I presume the earlier patt 1888 types I have seen were for fitment to earlier rifles. Tragan I cannot find the picture I remember seeing, will post if I find it .4th Gordons What an excellent picture, thanks for posting. Now where can I find a nice '03 ?

Regards,

Tomo

Yes, the Patt.1888 bayonets were for attaching to the Magazine Lee-Enfield and Magazine Lee-Metford rifles ... the "long Lees" if you prefer.

Which rules them out when considering the SMLE rifle, which had a different system of attachment, and allowed the fitment of P'03 and P'07.

Cheers, S>S