Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Battalion Irish Guards

Jan Walker

I am continuing with my write up of the men commemorated on our village war memorial in readiness for a service in June. I am now researching John Tom Batty Sharp who was born in Bainton, East Yorkshire in 1896. John served with the 1st Battalion of the Irish Guards, regimental number 12524 and died of wounds in the number 12 General Hospital, France on the 29th May 1918. He is buried in the St Sever Cemetery Extension at Rouen.

If anyone can add anything about his war service or what might have been happening to the Battalion during 1918 up to 29th May I would be very grateful. It is, I guess, going to be impossible to know how long he was in the hospital or what event caused his fatal wounds but any information is very welcome. The Forum has been massively supportive with my research to date and I am very grateful.

Jan

Jan,

Had a quick look on FMP but his service records don't appear to have survived. They may have helped if the medical section of his papers were there as they often contain relevant dates.

Sorry I can't be of any further help.

Simon

I'm not sure that FMP has the details of guards regiments. It may be worth enquiring at Wellington Barracks where such records are held. They provided me with my grandfather's file but there is a charge - and a wait.

The battalion history says that they were near Ayette in May and most of the casualties were caused by shelling.

"Their next turn - May 16 to 21 - was fine and hot for a couple of mornings and regular barrages were put down on the support-line when they were standing-to. Four men were killed and thirteen, of whom two died later, were wounded."

Ian

Ian,

I don't doubt what you say about guards service records. I'm currently trawling through a roll of honour and have come across a few guards service records (Grenadiers and Scots yesterday) so there are some present on FMP though possibly not so many.

Regards

Simon

Ah, I don't use FMP myself so I wouldn't know. Just out of interest (and apologies for hijacking the thread) does it show my grandfather Edward Glendenning? Please don't do anything if you incur a charge - as I said, I have his papers.

Ian

Hi,

It's my experience that you only find Guards records on FMP or Ancestry if they originated in the Pension files or if the soldier transferred to another non guards unit.

Steve Y

Just one, but not with the Irish Guards.

Edward Mayall Last name Glendenning Service number 2453 Regiment Manchester Regiment Unit / Battalion 2/10th Battalion Event year 1914 Age 34 Birth year 1880

Just one, but not with the Irish Guards.

Edward Mayall Last name Glendenning Service number 2453 Regiment Manchester Regiment Unit / Battalion 2/10th Battalion Event year 1914 Age 34 Birth year 1880

Not he. Sort of lends a bit of weight to my Wellington Barracks suggestion. Thanks for going to the bother of looking him up. Very kind.

Ian

Not a bother.