Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Anyone used the Harwich > Holland ferry crossing?

Dragon

As the title says...

I don't see why French activists should stop me going on my booked trip to the Vosges and Switzerland later in the summer, and I don't feel like being anxious about the potential uncertainties.

Any experiences appreciated.

Gwyn

Not used them since 1980's

However the facilities. Food/Restaurant , Cabins and other amenities where good then and the more modern ships look OK according to Stenna Line web site.

Book the best cabin you can afford.

bill

Gwyn,

I cannot see the action continuing through the summer.However I have used Harwich frequently for the Denmark run when DFDS operated the ferry services....now discontinued on account of increased fuel costs related to curbing diesel emissions and the impact of the budget airlines.

On this side,Harwich from the North and Midlands presents a relatively easy route via the A14 but I would say that the Hull -Zeebrugge service offers a better route to France and on to the Vosges than Holland's Europort. I have used the Hull-Zeebrugge route many times over the years to travel to Alsace, Southern Germany and Burgundy.In its favour,Zeebrugge has good road connections south to pick up the French autoroutes.

One advantage of entering via Zeebugge is that a visit to Ypres is a bonus on the return leg.

Thank you both for your thoughts.

I was thinking of Holland because we can avoid France for most of the drive and perhaps take in the Völkinger Hutte (ironworks, near Saarbrücken) which are extremely interesting and fantastic for photography, or indeed see places we've not visited before. Both times I've been on the Hull-Zeebrugge crossing I've been very seasick, which has put me off somewhat. I suppose it's partly because it's such a long crossing and I find that stressful.

I've already booked a Portsmouth-le Havre crossing, because we like the drive through Champagne and along the N4 & N59 to St-Dié and the Vosges cols, and the car will do 1000 km on a tank of diesel so we could get to Alsace, but as they keep closing the ports with strike action I'm considering the options including writing off the deposit if necessary. The crossing back to the UK is still under consideration. Hence the question. I'm not very good with uncertainty!

I really feel for people who have crossings and holidays booked for next week, especially those who have to go in school holidays. Some people must be very anxious.

Gwyn

I use it quite regular with a car/van and also scooter rally trips. Using it again in a few weeks. It is a very good crossing and a large comfortable ferry. You have to have a cabin for the night crossing but obviously not for the day crossings. Never had a bad experience.

Thank you! I would expect to have a cabin (bearing in mind Bill's advice to go for the best we can afford) so that isn't a problem. I read somewhere that you can board the ferry early - is that correct?

Gwyn,

Used to use them frequently visiting our factory in Holland, never ever had a problem with them at all.

Most recent trip was a couple of months ago, as advised if a night crossing take the cabin which have a shower to freshen up before leaving in Holland.

Andy

Gwyn,

I have used this crossing on several occasions traveling from Base in germany to UK and vise versa, it is a very pleasant crossing whether you cross day or night (day crossing is cheaper).

The vessel it's self has loads of facilities from tea and coffee to alcohol. Also the foods not too shabby either

Hope this helps

Daz

Thank you all very much for your comments. This is definitely something to think about.

Gwyn