Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7716 Sergeant Archibald Edwin Newman C Company 1st Hampshire Regiment

Rif Brig.

I'm looking for more information on Serjeant A.E. Newman - Hampshire Regiment.

His service number is #7716.

Any service history or photographs would be greatly appreciated.

The only information I have is that he died on 1st July 1916 and he is buried at the Redan Ridge Cemetery, No. 2 Beaumont-Hamel.

Cheers,

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

7716 Sergeant Archibald Edwin Newman, C Company, 1st Hampshire was the eldest son of Inspector Newman, of Templecombe, South Somerset.

Joined 1st Hants in March 1907 on a 7 and 5 term, and went to Ireland in March, 1908. From here he sailed for South Africa in January, 1909. From Harrismith he went to Mauritius early in 1912.

Came home in January, 1914, and was discharged to the Army Reserve March, 1914. He was called up on the outbreak of the war, and went to France a few weeks afterwards (date of entry 23 August, 1914).

He was wounded on 3 November, 1914 (GSW right leg), and returned to France on 22 March, 1915. He came home again on sick leave on 25 September, 1915.

Married on 6 November, 1915, to Alice M . M. Veasey, youngest daughter of J. Veasey, of Doulting, Shepton Mallet, Somerset.

Went to France again on 10 December, 1915, and was killed in action on 1 July 1916 leading his platoon into action.

Marc

post-52-0-35164000-1464641985_thumb.jpg

Thank you, gentlemen, for all the helpful information.

A special thanks to Marc Thompson for the detailed service information and the photograph. That's exactly what I was looking for.

Does anyone have any information on what his cap badge, shoulder title and battle insignia would have been?

Thanks again,

Mark

Mark

Take a look at Marc's avatar and you have the Hampshire Regiment badge !

Here a shoulder title:

http://www.britishmilitarybadges.co.uk/product/hampshire-regiment-shoulder-title-pair-2/

!st Hants were with 4 Division and the insignia was, I believe, a red disc with the top left quadrant detached from the remainder of the disc by a white reversed L, the quadrant set slightly away from the main disc portion. You could Google a question and get a pic.

• spof changed the title to 7716 Sergeant Archibald Edwin Newman C Company 1st Hampshire Regiment