Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Turkish travel advice

Kate Wills

Travellers to Gallipoli may already be aware the the Turkish Lira is to be re-denominated from 1 January 2005, when (oh joy!!) they are going to lop-off all those noughts. Here is an explanation from the AKBank website

In other words, 6 zeros will be dropped from our currency. That is; 10,000,000 Turkish Lira and 10 New Turkish Lira will have the same purchasing power. Current banknotes and coins will be in circulation until the end of 2005. Throughout 2005, Turkish Lira and New Turkish Lira banknotes and coins will concurrently be in circulation for one year.

A great idea, but I certainly will miss the excitement of paying 20,000,000 lira for something and watching the shopkeeper count back 12,600,000 in change!

Sheesh,

And these people want to join the EEC, 10,000,000 Euros, still its about time, nightmare trying to convert when you have had a drink.

Andy

Nightmare trying to convert when you haven't had a drink.

What a shame! When I was stationed in Greece we used to play a game when people came back from leave in Turkey called, "Who want's to be a Turkish millionare." Guess this puts an end to that fun!

Paul

• 1 month later...

What I'll miss most of all, is the 6 0's written with a black marker pen on the pumps at Turkish petrol stations.

With the number of litres, there was no problem, but the number of digits on the pump for the price to be paid was never sufficient.

Another fine tradition sadly gone forevever :)

CGI