Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/7/2016 Somme Centenary Ticket

Skipman

I know someone who has a ticket for the Centenary event on 1/7/2016 at Thiepval. He cannot go to this, nor can I. How best to allocate this ticket. He does not want money for it. I can imagine there are many here who could use it?

Mike

Mike

How best to allocate it is THE question. Quiz? Raffle? 'Need'?- However you determine who gets it will result in some sour faces. The judgement of Job!!

For information, the whole, or most of it, of the northern part of the Somme is going to be barred to anyone who does not have a ticket.

IF you cannot allocate it fairly, then please add my name to the list. BTW, are not these tickets 'named'?

Regards

Martin

" BTW, are not these tickets 'named " I have no idea. He is ex-forces, so not sure if that is how he came by the ticket. I will find out more. He is happy for me to help find someone to use it, if it is ok to do so. Perhaps i should seek Mod advice. would it be legal to hold a GWF raffle for funds?

Mike

Perhaps it might be best to leave the MOD out of it if tickets are not 'named'. There may be conditions printed on the back of it of course!.

As for a raffle, no idea. Also, of course, there is the timing issue. We are now in to the back end of May. If A N Other Person is to take the ticket, then he or she would need to make appropriate travel & accommodation. arrangements plus any leave of absence from work if required. Any raffle, with the sort of potential participants it might attract, locally as well as internationally, would need clearance from 'whoever'.

Tempus fugit I fear.

What does the potential donor of the ticket think?

Martin

Well, my view, previously noted, is that I wouldn't go near the place just to watch a load of freebooters having a mawk.

The judgement of Solomon surely, Martin?

Oops!!

Whoever turns up with the ticket won't get through the first cordon unless it was issued to them personally.

ebay then....or getmein.....

Only joking, be worse than trying to get into an Adele concert...

Probably about as much fun, too.

• 4 weeks later...
On 22 May 2016 at 18:42, Steven Broomfield said:

Well, my view, previously noted, is that I wouldn't go near the place just to watch a load of freebooters having a mawk.

Personally Steven, I feel very privileged to be able to go and pay my respects.

Kind regards

Mawkish Freebooter

Enjoy. I don't object to people with a genuine interest going (though nothing would persuade me): my beef is with the Great & Good rocking up, complete with priority tickets, parking, guards, etc, when people who should be there are left in the wings.

Cheers Steven!