Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British War Medal to Belgian Agent, how to research?

trench whistle

It appears he has a family member who was active in the same network.
His card mentions the same number, my best guess is that the number corresponds to a certain group within the Hadrian network.
I'm very slowly going through the entire archive of the services patriotique that can be found online, I'm maybe 1/4 through the massive amount of documents.
I haven't seen the Hadrian network mentioned before, but chances are I will!
I'll keep an eye out for any references to this network and Michel Boone.

Schermafbeelding 2024-01-15 om 15.47.35.png

Schermafbeelding 2024-01-15 om 15.46.56.png

Thank you, this is great. I will add these images to my file on him. I did wonder if he had a relative as there are several Boones listed on the medal index cards. 

@trench whistle Here's some more info I found in the Belgian national archives (Rijksarchief) in Brussels ( I 581: 2340-2347). You will probably find some spelling mistakes, English is not my first language.

Service Hadrian was founded by Marguerite D'Hollander and Cyrille van Heddegem in april 1918, both civilians were living in Schellebelle, Belgium at that time.
Around 20 agents were active in the network and there were 4 posts from which the network watched the trains, around the eastern Ghent area/ East-Flanders.
Information from those 4 posts were gathered in Schellebelle and Beervelde by van Heddegem.
After that the reports went to a 'mailbox' in Lokeren, from where they were transported by a courier to Klein Sinaai. This is a small Belgian villages near the Dutch border.
The next step to get the information to the Netherlands was either by air (pidgeon) or courier from another service (Du Catroy).
Eventually the information reached agents Van Tichelen and Vercauteren stationed in Amsterdam. (I noticed these names multiple times in other documents)
The Germans found out about the network in september 1918 and made some arrestations. It is believed that the downfall of the service Hadrian is because of betrayal from the courier from the Du Catroy network.

The British GQG said the obervations made by this service were 'mediocre'

The 4 posts were on the lines:
1. Ghent-Brussels Ghent-Dendermonde at Schellebelle
2. Ghent-Lokeren-Antwerp at Beervelde (the post from you Belgian Agent and his father. Michel watched the trains during daytime, Pierre at night)
3. Moerbeke-Stekene at Klein-Sinaai
4. Territorial observation - an ammo depot in Kwatrecht (I passed the area today, it's close to were I live coincidentally), a small airfield in Gontrode (this one still exists and is also close to my home. The germans build an enormous hall for a zeppelin on the airfield), a park in Melle and general troop movement in the area.

The name of the courier of the Du Catroy network that betrayed the Hadrian network was called Auguste De Smet, after which all activity stopped. The more important agents were arrested, some tried to escape to the Netherlands. Cyrille van Heddegem was arrested on the 13th september 1918, his wife (also an agent) was sadly electrocuted by the electric fence at the Belgian-Dutch border while being chased by German guards.
Michel and Pierre Boone weren't arrested and continued the trainwatching for another network (Van Laere). They made reports 2 times per week untill the armistice.

I hope this helps! There is more to be found in the archives, maybe next time I'll look into more files. There might be more personal information about your Belgian Agent, maybe not. But it's worth a try and easy to find.
If anybody else needs more information about Belgian Agents, feel free to message me! I'm more than happy to help.

Thomas

Thomas, 

I can't thank you enough for this. I have now added this information to the file with the medal. 

James

I have two WW1 groups to Belgian female agents that include the British War Medal, but have no idea how to research them. 

I would really appreciate any potential sources that might provide some information

The first is; Madame Charlotte Lints-Stassart, whose entry on the BWM Roll states that she resided at 26 Rue En Bois, Liege.

The second is Madame Isabelle Josephine Lambillon-Delplanque, who was mentioned in despatches on 29th August 1919. The BWM Roll states that she was the wife of the under-station-master at Ransart Railway Station near Charleroi.       

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Mal       

Edited by williywonker
grammar

@williywonker Hi Mal,

I have found both:

Charlotte Lints (maiden name Stassart): W.O. 24   Service Frankignoul (Legros)
Lambillon (maiden name Delplanque): S.M. 105 Service Sencier   W.O.  D.16

Her husband René Lambillon was also awarded a BWM and he was indeed the sous-chef of the Ransart station. He was born in Flaxinnes (Namur) 22 november 1880 and he was also part of Service Sencier

That's all for now, i'll keep you posted if I find more information.

Thomas

I looked a little further and there are some files you can access freely online on the website of the national archives from Belgium.
You do need to make an account for free to be able to view the digital files.

So if you search for 'Legros' you get this:

https://search.arch.be/fr/rechercher-des-archives/resultats/ead/zoekresultaat/zoekterm/legros/eadid/BE-A0510_002182_002443_FRE/inventarisnr/I21822443720

It's a link to the Brussel Rijksarchief. It seems some is digital, some is not. When you visit the archives in person, you can easily access them if you make a reservation.
If you don't live in Belgium, I'll probably visit the Rijksarchief in the near future. It's no trouble for me to help you and look for the files there.

Service Sencier also seems to be a part of the Frankignoul group.

https://search.arch.be/fr/rechercher-des-archives/resultats/ead/zoekresultaat/zoekterm/sencier/eadid/BE-A0510_002182_002443_FRE/inventarisnr/I21822443720

The following link is a list of agents from all the different networks from the Frankignoul group. Pages 8, 12 and 13 will definitely interest you because your agents are mentioned in the list (both Sencier and Legros), along with all the other agents from those groups.

https://search.arch.be/fr/rechercher-des-archives/resultats/inventaris/rabscans/zoekterm/frankignoul/eadid/BE-A0510_002182_002443_FRE/inventarisnr/I2182244348/level/file

If you are having troubles to access the files, please let me know!
Also, I would love to see pictures of your Belgian Agents' medal groups!

Thomas

Thomas,

Thank you very much for responding and providing some tantalizing sources of research. Here are the photos as requested. Top is the group to Lambillon-Delplanque and bottom is the group to Lints-Stassart.

Mal                                                                                                                            

Agent 2.png

Agent 1.png

Edited by williywonker

Really nice groups, thanks!

Here is the group from my great grandfather, who was part of Service Laporte in a town not far from the front lines around Roeselare.
Maybe I will make a post one day about him and service Laporte once I have finished my research!

IMG_5018.jpg

What a lovely group, especially as it was awarded to your Grandfather. I recognize one of the Belgian awards as the Order of the Crown but not the first one.

I would encourage you to make a post about his service once all your research has been finished. It would make interesting reading especially as very little is known about the Belgian networks that operated in the Great War. Your Grandfather was a very brave man.

Mal