Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ADH Smith missing presumed killed at Gaza

Guest Judy Buckley

Guest Judy Buckley

Any information welcome about Alan Douglas Hay Smith (London Rifle Brigade)

2nd Lieutenant 4th Reserve Battalion Essex Regiment (2nd/4th Essex Regiment)

Born 11 Mar 1887 (aged 29) Missing presumed killed at Gaza, 1917

I have his tobacco box Xmas 1914 from Princess Mary fund. Also his widow paid £100 demob money 1918.

My grandfather. I believe my grandmother heard later unofficially from a colleague that he had seen him die. We have photograph of him riding a camel.

Any chance of finding out more?

Judy Buckley

Here is his CWGC entry..

Name: HAY-SMITH, ALAN DOUGLAS

Initials: A D

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Essex Regiment

Unit Text: 4th Bn.

Date of Death: 26/03/1917

Additional information: Son of Charles and Janet Hay-Smith; husband of Daisy Winifred Hay-Smith, of Kendal Cottage, Upper Tulse Hill, London.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panels 33 to 39

Cemetery: JERUSALEM MEMORIAL

Hi Judy,

I would like to add some background information to the info Terry found for you:

The First Battle of Gaza.

“Gaza” is one of the ten honours which the Essex Regiment is permitted to bear upon the King’s Colour for the part it played in the war of 1914-1919. It has the distinction of being a battle honour which was won solely by the 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th Battalion of the Essex Regiment.

“ The official record of the 1/4th Essex is brief, merely stating that the Battalion went into action on March 26th near Gaza. Their losses were severe, particularly among the senior officers, for the commanding officer was killed, the second-in-command (Major B.C. Wells) was wounded, a company commander (Captain J.W. Bell) was killed and three others wounded (Captains H.J.M. Earl, L.F. Bittles and M.P. Leith). The nine officers who fell were: Lieut.- Colonel E.J. Jameson, D.S.O. (Leinster Regiment), who died of wounds next day, Captain J.W. Bell (1st Essex), Lieut. F.W. Gidley (1st Essex), 2nd Lieuts. W.M. Vincent (8th Suffolks), F.G. Sweet (3rd Essex), G.O. Richardson, A.D. Hay Smith, V.H. Butcher and B.A. Clapham. Twelve others were wounded, so that practically ail the officers who went into action were casualties. There also died 49 other ranks, whilst 322 were wounded and 74 were missing, several of whom were afterwards reported killed. The total casualties were 463.”

Source: John Wm Burrows, The Essex Regiment, Essex Territorial Infantry Brigade, (4th, 5th, 6th and 7th Battalion). Also 8th (Cyclists) Battalion The Essex Regiment. 1932.

The attached photo is NOT of your grandfather, but possibly simular to yours?

Would you be willing to share your photo with us, I'm very interested.

Thanks and kind regards,

Michael

post-1-1101904767.jpg

Guest Judy Buckley

Many thanks to Michael and Terry for replies. I had no idea he was mentioned on the memorial in Jerusalem, or that the First Battle of Gaza was such a disaster.

Where can I try to find out if anyone if researching the same battalion?

Attached I hope you can see photo taken somewhere (France?) when ADH Smith was Corporal London Rifle Brigade (corporal's stripes on his greatcoat sleeev?) in November 1914.

Camel photo not scanned yet, but I will post it soon.

Judy Buckley

post-1-1101998500.jpg

Guest Judy Buckley

This photograph is a poor copy of the tiny original which came in a letter, and has been lost.

"Can you recognise me. This was taken by my camel man who could not tell me ...the ... pyramid is the ....."

Tantalising! There is surely a pyramid in the background, so this was taken in Egypt. Late 1916?

Judy Buckley

post-1-1101999308.jpg