Remembered Today:

The 10th P.W.O. Royal Hussars

Claudine PAUL

Could you tell me what P.W.O. means ?

Thank you in advance.

Claudine PAUL

62140 FRESSIN (France)

Thank you Mick for your quick answer.

Do you know why P.W.O. is mentioned in the Royal Hussars ?

The Royal Hussars is a Regiment, I presume.

The 10th P.W.O. is a part of that regiment, isn't it ?

Do you know where I can find information about the meaning of the military words 'Regiment', 'Brigade', 'Battalion', 'Squadron', 'Patrol' etc. ?

Claudine

from Fressin (Pas-de-Calais, France)

Welcome Claudine

At the top of the forum there are several headers, if you click on the one The Long Long Trail, ( http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk )you will fiind that if you then go to the section on "Army" there are excellent breakdowns and explanations on the queries you have asked.

Hope this helps

John

The regiment is named for the Prince of Wales who went on to become George IV. He adopted them in 1783, at which point they went on to become probably the most fashionable regiment outside the Household Cavalry (Beau Brummel was an officer for a while).

In 1783 they were styled "Light Dragoons", but under the Prince's patronage became Hussars (the first British regiment to do so) in 1806.

Amalgamated in 1969 with the 11th Hussars (PAO - Prince Albert's Own) to create The Royal Hussars (PWO), they amalgamated again in 1992 with the 14th/20th King's Hussars to create the current regiment, The King's Royal Hussars.

Welcome to the forum, Claudine. The website of the Museum at Winchester that includes the 10th Royal Hussars (Prince of Wales's Own) is here ... http://horsepowermuseum.co.uk/?page_id=73 Two members of this forum are curators at the Museum and will no doubt respond to this thread shortly.

One's an ex-curator!

Thank you all for your answers !

I prepare an article for a local magazine of History "La Petite Histoire de Fressin et des environs" about the British soldiers who billetted in some villages near Hesdin in Pas-de-Calais : Fressin, Planques, Avondance, Sains and Wambercourt.

Where can I find information about the Corps School at Fressin during the WW1 ? That school is mentioned in several Ward diaries. I think it was a part of the Merlimont school (on the seaside).

Thanks a lot.

Claudine