Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

If medals could talk

Derek Robertson

Thanks to the observational skills and friendship of a couple of Forum members who know of my interest in the 28th Bn. CEF, I was recently alerted to a single Victory medal of a man of this battalion when it appeared on E-bay.

And surprisingly for me I managed to win the medal at a very reasonable price.

It was only when I delved deeper into the service history of this man did the medal begin to tell its tale.

His discharge papers stated that :

"discharged in consequence of being medically unfit for further war service, Gun Shot Wound left foot"

Further, his conduct and character whilst in the service was described as being"Indifferent"

Below this was carried the line "28 days Field Punishment No.1 (Self Inflicted wound)"

However, the most telling line was:

Age at time of discharge.......... 18 Years

So it would seem that this boy had enlisted underage and at some point had found it necessary to injure himself to avoid being sent back up to the front.

One can only wonder at the mental anguish that this boy suffered.

And it had only been because of my 2 Forum friend alerting me to this medal that I had shown it any interest.

I wonder how many other medals have passed me by with similar horrendous tales to tell?

Hi Derek,

Yes, isn't it amazing what stories lurk behind these little pieces of silver and bronze? In this case, the fellow didn't cover himself in glory but as you state, what must he have gone through in his time at the front when he should have been in a classroom?