Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Stormtrooper grenade bags

Dani Alfonsea

Hello,

I am planning a historical figure, I would like to do an early war German grenadier, wearing a Pickelhaube (without spike), that is, before the M16 Stahlhelm was widespread. I would like to equip him with the well-known improvised twin-sandbag style grenade carrier, but I'm not sure this would be correct for the time - this equipment seems to be more adequate for a late-war appearance.

What do you think? Would the proposed combination be adequate?

Thanks,

Dani

To be honest, I don't think it goes togheter.

As far as I saw, only "Steelhelmeted" stormtroopers used these improvised grenade bags. i never saw a picture of a spike helmeted soldier with these bags.

So my opinion: Don't do it.

I believe I have seen at least one photo of a man wearing a spiked helmet with the grenade bags. Let me see if I can find it and post it here.

Ralph

No luck I am afraid. The photo I found did not have the bags. Considering the number of photos I have seen over the years you would probably be better off not making the figure in the manner you described.

Ralph

Thank you,

This is what I suspected... so, will refrain from using the proposed combination. I'll do either an early-war subject w/o sandbags, or a later subject with them.

Regards,

Dani