Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Herbert Rennie Robertson RAMC

Eastindia

He died at home aged 50 at Framfield Sussex following surgery and was buried in the churchyard. He was attached to 2nd/1st Essex Yeomanry. He had practised at Tientsin. I would much appreciate any info of his career. Was the surgery related to his service or injury sustained?

National Archives has his Service Record and a China probate record here

Ancestry show his Soldiers Effects record here but no explanation of death

CWGC commemorate him here but again without details

And you probably also have this! post-119876-0-38857700-1462904962_thumb. this is 1916

Edit The Long Long Trail says this for 2nd/1St Essex Yeo :

2/1st

Formed in September 1914 as a Second-Line unit and remained in UK until in September 1917,

edit The BMJ archive has an obit here which might give more info and you can see it if you take a 2 week free trial.

So best bet is to look at his Service File

Charlie962

TCD have some very fine photos online for the fallen. Here is a superb one for HR Robertson

Edit I have removed photo because I believe I need permission to show it? But look at the link above. Slow to load but worth it

photo number 71 out of 96

Charlie962

He was an Officer in the Territorial Force R.A.M.C.

Notifications relating to him in the London Gazette are in the name of Herbert Robertson, M.B.

He was gazetted Lieutenant on 15.11.1914, "Attached to Units other than Medical Units."

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/28975/supplement/9371

and promoted Captain on 15.5.1915

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29298/supplement/9214 heading on page 9213

Thank you everybody. Much appreciated. Thank you Charlie 962 for access to the photograph. I shall contact Trinity for permission.

After a professional life of over 25 years one might have hoped for more traces of what he did and where.

another cutting, Morningpost 1900 post-119876-0-02167500-1462963927_thumb.

You will find other mentions of him but really the Service Record should be consulted. I would be interested to hear the results of your search.

Charlie962

• 2 weeks later...

I have notes from his papers in WO374/58227. Born 12 June 1866 Newry, Co Down. He died of portal pylephlebitis following an operation for a ruptured duodenal ulcer.

He was educated at Marlborough Sept 1879 to April 1883. The school register doesn't add anything to what you have above.

Why did he end up in the Essex Yeomanry? His wife was sister of Lt Col Edmund Deacon, C.O. from 1910, who took 1/1 Essex Yeo to France in November 1914 and was killed in action 13 May 1915. So poor Amy lost both her husband and brother while serving with the regiment.

Ian

• 4 weeks later...

I have only just found your most helpful reply. As you aptly say it was hard for his wife to lose first her brother and then him.

i had a relative who collapsed playing tennis in 1902 with a ruptured duodenal ulcer. He had surgery which was successful but thereafter his diet was extremely limited which is probably why he lived until his mid nineties.

Many thanks, Ian. Much appreciated.

david 

• 3 years later...

The army lists have him appointed to 1/1st EY in November 1914 and then to 2/1st from April (possibly March) 1915 - makes sense given his age.