Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Indian "Volunteer Artillery Battery" Mesopotamia

charlie962

This unit appears in the OH by Moberly and there is a description on fibiwiki here

But I cannot find mention of the Madras Artillery Volunteers, who I get the impression may have had some men in this unit?

For example there is a current thread for a Gunner Charles Rollins whose CWGC record shows his Graves Registration as Volunteer Artillery Battery but the main record lists him as Madras Artillery Volunteers. There are a couple of others similarly noted.

Can anyone confirm that Madras Artillery men served with 'Volunteer Artillery Battery"? -and add any further info?

Charlie962

The nominal roll of the Voluntary Artillery Battery at Kut indicates that the residences of the 62 other ranks were:

42 - Burma (mostly Rangoon)

6 - Madras

5 - Calcutta

3 - Bombay

6 - other locations or unknown

Regards, Dick Flory

Thanks for the reply, Dick.

I know there were other sections of the battery outside of Kut, with the 'relief' force. Would they be in the same proportions do you think?

Charlie962

• 1 month later...
On 5/9/2016 at 14:14, rflory said:

The nominal roll of the Voluntary Artillery Battery at Kut indicates that the residences of the 62 other ranks were:

42 - Burma (mostly Rangoon)

6 - Madras

5 - Calcutta

3 - Bombay

6 - other locations or unknown

Regards, Dick Flory

hi DIck,

do you have any more information on the members of this battery? In particular I am researching two Anglo-Burmese gunners, Charlie Rollins and Maurice Herne, who were members of this battery.

thanks

Brian

Neither Rollins nor Herne are listed in "List of Officers and Men at Kut" in With the Volunteer Artillery Battery in Kut and Mesopotamia, 1915-1916.

thanks. I will keep looking for the records to confirm their roles. One died soon after the siege and is buried at Amara.

Edited by antigoon
Added more informtion

• 1 month later...

For general reference, there is another thread about a man in this Battery  

Dick Flory, would you be able to look on your list and see if there is a mention of John Strain McGrogan, whose CWGC record
http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/634326/
gives his regiment as Calcutta Volunteer Artillery Bty, and also indicates that he died at Angora, Turkey, which implies he was a prisoner of war.

Possibly he could have been made a POW at the fall of Kut. Could he be one of the five men from Calcutta in the Battery?

Cheers

Maureen

Maureen:  A Bombr. McGrogan (no Christian names or initials indicated) was a member of the battery. He is listed as formerly with Harman & Co., Rangoon; wounded in action 0n 28 December; Reported by Gnr. Price to have died at Kara Hissar about December 1916.  Most likely your man. 

Regards, Dick Flory

• 2 months later...

Hi DIck

Could I ask you for another check in your roll?

The cap in question is:

1773  GNR.  B. H. D'SILVA    VOL. ARTY. BTY.

1773  GNR.  B. H. DE ZILVA    VOL. ARTY. BTY.

No sign I can see of a MIC...

Best Wishes

Tim

• 1 year later...

John  Stain McGrogan No 1455 was a member of Calcutta Volunteer Artillery. Born Linlithgow Scotland Father moved to Penrith. He is remembered on the town's war memorial and the RC Church in Penrith.

1911 living in Manchester and was a tailors Cutter.

Went to India in 1913 on a P & O ship. 

Medals - 14/15 star, British and Victory Medals.

Richard

Edited by rickpreston@nasuwt.net

• 4 years later...

Artillery Volunteer Battery - Sergeant Albert Swann ( ex 1st Batt. Durham Light Infantry & Simla Volunteer Rifles)

Having recently become the custodian of Albert Swann's medal group, I noted that his three Great War trio are named to  No 1006 Sergt. A Swann Vol. Arty Bty.

Whilst I have details of his service career in the Durham Light Infantry (Ireland, Boer War, Governor of Bombay's Band & Lawrence Rm School), and time served in the Simla Rifles, I can find little on his role in the Volunteer Artillery Battery. Hence seeking any assistance or pointers as to where I might find any information as nothing appears to be forthcoming from a general search.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

The Fibiwiki link given in post 1 lists out some war diaries. I checked the first one only, which has been digitised by The National Archives, and currently I think would be free.

From the post I linked 22 August 2016, GWF Forum member rflory has a list of the Battery members who were taken prisoner st Kut, from an account by the Commanding Officer Major A. J. Anderson , original  at the Imperial War Museums, see the Fibiwiki page.

Some of the Battery were not posted to Kut, so will not appear in Major Anderson's account.

Apart from that, you will be lucky to find anything. These Volunteer units raised for the war are very poorly documented.

Maureen

Dear Maureen,

Many thanks for your response. I have managed to extract the war diaries and currently combing through them for details. 

I have a suspicion that Swann wasn't at Kut and hence need to find out where the other element of the unit was posted - if at all possible to discover.

Douglas