Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The 5th North Staffords and the North Midland Territorials (The 46th a

Droocoo

Hi all,

does anyone have a copy of the above book? If so, I would really appreciate it if you sent me a private message as I am researching a 2/Lt Hayward MC of the 1/5th North Staffs.

Kindest Regards,

Andrew

Andrew

As promised, here are the extracts from Walter Meakin's "History of 5th North Staffords" relating to Temporary 2nd/Lieutenant (Acting Captain) Walter Hayward:

(2nd/5th North Staffords): Whilst the Battalion was at VRAIGNES, on April 9th (1917), the Germans evacuated some trenches South of LE VERGUIER. A patrol advanced, but was fired at by Machine-guns and rifles. A platoon was then sent forward under Lieutenant W Hayward to occupy some trenches in a wood, and was met by heavy Machine-gun and rifle fire, but they cut their way through the wire, and obtained their objective, with the loss of five men. The 2nd/6th North Staffs. Then advanced through the Line, and dug themselves in 400 yards in front.

On the early morning of the 6th March (1918) the 5th North Staffs made a raid. Lieutenants Jones and Hayward with about 20 men formed the party. Two Stokes-mortar shells were taken, and with these two dug-outs were destroyed. They also captured two Machine-guns, and four prisoners, who reported that the German attack was to commence between 12th and 16th of March. They themselves had two casualties.

21 March 1918: The 5th North Staffords were killed or wounded or made taken prisoner in groups, though two companies held out for eight hours, until about 4 o’clock in the afternoon. Colonel Harry Johnson was wounded before mid-day, being struck across the head by a bullet, which then burrowed down his back. Thus knocked over, he was taken prisoner, when the Germans spread over what was previously the village of BULLECOURT. Of the whole Battalion, only two officers, Captain W N Bladen and Lieut. H Pratt (of whom the former was wounded), and 33 wounded andu nwounded men were left. The remainder were either killed or taken prisoners of war, many of the latter also being wounded. Ten officers, Captains A COTTERILL, E N B-H-SOAME, F D BENNETT, T A HOGG, and Lieutenants R B C AKED, M.C., R M TRIMBLE, J TOWNSEND, R CRADDOCK, W HAYWARD, and J JARVIS were killed; three officers, Lieut-Col H Johnson, D.S.O., and Lieutenants L C Grice, M.C., and F R Tunnicliffe were wounded and made prisoners; and eight officers, Major T E Tildesley, M.C., Captain and Adjutant V B Shelley, Captain M Settle and Lieutenants W A Beresford, H St J B Watson, M.C., A M Jones, G L King, and Captain G R Lipp, M.C., RAMC, the Medical Officer were made prisoner unwounded. Captain SETTLE died of influenza on 23rd December in Germany. Total casualties, 22 officers and 539 men.

Captain W N Bladen, M.C., commanding “B” Company, which was in support, one of the two officers who escaped, gave the following description of his adventures in one of his letters: “at 10.30 am we saw the enemy – first he came over on the right flank of the Battalion, and was in ECOUST in a very short time. From my position, I could not see our headquarters, and I think they were captured at about this time; the last message I had had from them was at 9 am, when one of my own runners returned. Lieutenant Pratt, who was in command of one of the platoons, came back with his men; he told me that the troops on his let had withdrawn, that his right flank was in the air, and so he had decided to come back. He had not seen anything of Lieutenant Hayward, who was in command of the forward platoon, and the Germans were all round him”.

Appendix: List of Officers of 5th North Staffords (or connected therewith):

Captain Walter Hayward. M.C.. Killed March 21st 1918. Mentioned in Despatches (2nd North Staffs.)

Details of Awards:

2nd Lieutenant W Hayward. M.C. 13 May 1918.

“For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty in a raid on the enemy’s trenches. Finding the enemy’s wire uncut in front of his objective, he rushed forward, cut the wire and led his men through the gap. He then attacked and killed or captured the whole of the enemy garrison, and repulsed a determined counter-attack by which the enemy endeavoured to cut off his retreat. His magnificent courage and determination at critical moments had a most inspiring effect on his men and undoubtedly prevented the enemy from gaining the upper hand.”

Regards

C

• 9 months later...

Hello!

Just been researching a captain in the 1/5th Bt. of North Staffs and found the whole publication is available online.

Would be interested to know how common it is to have such a wealth of images as used in this book. Really impressive collection of photos of all ranks.

meakins north staff link.JPG