Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Scots at Passchendaele

mickey selcon

Hi

I am researching Private 202351 George MEADOWS Royal Scots, who I think was wounded at Passchendaele Ridge in 1917. I am trying to find out what Battalion he served in and when he joined up, does anyone have any info on this?

Thanks Mike

The Medal Award Roll states he initially served with the 16th Royal Scots and then latterly served in 2/10th Royal Scots.

Regards

LIT

Hello Mike,

Had a quick look at your man's medal roll index card and it reveals his entitlement to the British War and Victory medals but no 14-15 star so he didn't serve abroad until after 1/1/16.

Im reasonably sure the 6 figure service number wasn't introduced until 1917 which narrows your dates down a bit. You can get a copy of his index card free from Ancestry.co.uk. On his card there is no indication of him being KiA or DoW. Also no mention of a Silver War Badge so if he was wounded it appears it was not sufficiently serious to end his military career.

I'm not sure how much you know about researching soldiers so if I'm repeating what you know I apologise. At the top of this page is a link to 'the long long trail', here you will find many tips on where to start your research.

Good luck

Simon

Hi

I am researching Private 202351 George MEADOWS Royal Scots, who I think was wounded at Passchendaele Ridge in 1917. I am trying to find out what Battalion he served in and when he joined up, does anyone have any info on this?

Thanks Mike

George Meadows was wounded with 16th Royal Scots on 22.10.17 during the action near Turenne Crossing, north of Poelcapelle. The roll entry indicates that he came from Manchester.

Thank you all for your help, very much appreciated and it has answered many questions.

Regards

Mike