Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Worth a go ? Non-Comm

ralphjd

Just discovered an Army Pensioner (according to the entry in the death register) James Fogg died 1920 from pulmonary TB buried Rochdale Cemetery. Worthwhile pursuing this as a case for the IFTC project ?. Advice as usual most welcome. Ralph.

if he died because of the war then yes, always

Ralph

Only going to be a runner if you can find evidence that TB, or something related, was the cause of his discharge. Are his "pension papers" available?

By the by - best wishes to Mrs D for Thursday.

John

Trouble is there are a lot of soldiers by this name, trying to pin him down to one individual obviously, come up with James Fogg previous numbers 2014/ 52376 WCLC ex-M/crs according to the MIC served 1915 - 1918 age 23 on discharge through sickness , the age fits in with James being 25 when he passed away, could be him, still looking. How do we prove his cause of death was was related ? Ralph.

Trouble is there are a lot of soldiers by this name, trying to pin him down to one individual obviously, come up with James Fogg previous numbers 2014/ 52376 WCLC ex-M/crs according to the MIC served 1915 - 1918 age 23 on discharge through sickness , the age fits in with James being 25 when he passed away, could be him, still looking. How do we prove his cause of death was was related ? Ralph.

It would need to be noted in army records or on the death cert.

Craig

Thanks John, hope she destroys the opposition , you would not believe the "crap" in the leaflets they have put out, she is being swamped with messages on her Facebook. Fingers crossed and Happy Birthday to her for today (65) bot don't remind her :ph34r: Ralph.

Craig. I have a copy of the entry in the death register held in the office in Rochdale , is this entry an exact copy of what the death cert would have on it ? going to search the local rag for any details of his death , obituary etc in a while. Ralph.

Craig. I have a copy of the entry in the death register held in the office in Rochdale , is this entry an exact copy of what the death cert would have on it ? going to search the local rag for any details of his death , obituary etc in a while. Ralph.

Not sure but I'd presume so - the CWGC would probably still want the death cert. Does it mention that it was contracted or attributed to service ?

Craig

Craig. No , only that which I have posted "Army Pensioner cotton worker." I will get his death cert if I can obtain more details from the Rochdale Observer for June 1920.

Ralph

Before you commit yourself to coughing up for the death certificate, you really need to first establish the documentary link to his cause of discharge. Without that, a TB death a couple of years after the end of the war is not going to work with CWGC. I think it's going to be a struggle - I've looked his name up on the pension papers and can only find four candidates, none of whom look likely.

John

The new Michael Moore documentary 'Where to invade next ?' has some very good points on education - a very interesting watch.

Craig

John. As I say I will delve further into the local rag first see if anything shows up before coughing up for a d c. Ralph.

Hi there Ralph,

The only tenuous connection I can find is from the Manchester Employers Roll of Honour 1914-1916.

J Fogg working for Jopson, Ashworth & Edmonds, this was a firm in the British Cotton & Wool Dyers Assoc Ltd.

They are based in Middleton which I believe is a part of Rochdale.

Cheers Roger.

Hello again Ralph,

I took a look at the newspapers on line at FMP and nothing showing up for him, I found him in the 1911 census living in Rochdale with his widowed mum and brothers and working in the mills.

I can't connect him to any military units, the only two anywhere near is one from the Manchester Regiment and Labour Corps with a SWB badge, and a Liverpool Regiment and Labour Corps.

Looks like you have a long struggle with the manual search of the papers.

Cheers Roger.

• 3 years later...

There is a pension record for Pte James Fogg 52376 Labour Corps, same man as mentioned above. Address was 86 Royds Street, Rochdale, and NOK was his mother Elizabeth Fogg. Unfortunately the ledger only notes that he died on 11 June 1920 from disease after discharge, which isn't helpful. The SWB roll has him as ex Manchester Regiment 52376, while the medal roll says he was Liverpool Regiment 77404. Couldn't find the MIC though, and there don't appear to be any other records for this man.